Does anyone know "bob" the fish guy and Gateway Tropical?

reefgeek84

I know this is a wierd question, but there was a man named Bob, who sold fish and coral out of his house over in gateway. Did anyone ever go to him? He had some amazing things and he has been in the hobby for well over 50 years. he was the only person I bought stuff from, curious if anyone else knew of him?

I believe his business was called Gateway Tropical.

That was one of the first SW stores I visited WAY back when I first had a FO tank. Bob was great you always knew he would have something neat/different when you went in. But when he fell and broke his shoulder (I believe) that was when he decided to call it quits.

He will be missed and I hope he is still doing well.

I first met Gateway Bob when I was about fifteen years old. So I guess I have known him for abour nineteen years. Man that makes me feel old. Great guy. Made things work the old school way. Undergravel filters and flourescent lights, nothing fancy but he always had great stuff, even way back when. Everyone loved Bob.

I was actually with him when he broke his shoulder, after he fell he got up and asked me to help him bag up some corals. He was standing there with a broken shoulder and all he was thinking about was getting corals to bring back for his customers, forget about the ER he had work to do.

He had a very loyal following.

Travis

Glad to hear he is doing well. Bob had his store originally on NE 102nd Ave. when I first met him around 1974 (he had it way before that!). In1986, after he moved his shop into his home, he was one of the first stores in Orego.n to carry reef supplies. I could talk for hours with that guy! He even bought tank raised clowns from Martin Moe in the 1970's!

I have invited Bob and Trudy to our PNWMAS barbecue in the past without much luck, perhaps some other people could encourage them to make it this year.

I first met Gateway Bob when I was about fifteen years old. So I guess I have known him for abour nineteen years. Man that makes me feel old. Great guy. Made things work the old school way. Undergravel filters and flourescent lights, nothing fancy but he always had great stuff, even way back when. Everyone loved Bob.

I was actually with him when he broke his shoulder, after he fell he got up and asked me to help him bag up some corals. He was standing there with a broken shoulder and all he was thinking about was getting corals to bring back for his customers, forget about the ER he had work to do.

He had a very loyal following.

Travis

Yeah I thought you were with him, he told me about the whole thing. Its a shame it happened to him.

This is so cool, that so many people know, Although he was a huge influence and like everyone said pretty much the first guy to have all this in the state. I remember when his place was so crowded that you could not fit two people down an aisle. It would be great to get him to come to one of our BBQ's.