Welcome to the Suggestion Box

Chief

Here is a venue for all of our members to give us input.

What would you like to see at the next meeting?

Ideas for fundraisers?

Activities?

Educational opportunities?

You get the idea. This is a brainstorming thread.

Please post each new idea as a separate thread. That way no ideas get lost.

Jay

Glad to see the suggestion box up so quickly!

I think there were several good ideas floated at the meeting yesterday which it would be good to have input on. Some of my favorites in no particular order...

1. Sponsoring a tank locally (OMSI?) and/or at the Hatfield - this seems like a nice combination of educational opportunity and way to raise awareness of the group.

2. Tank of the month - feature a member tank/story on the site then follow up with informal presentation/discussion at the next meeting.

3. Frag exchange/sale - having a mechanism to donate frags for auction/sale to support the club as well as facilitate exchanges between members.

4. Some featured "reef basic" presentation/discussions at the meetings where some of our local expertice could be put to use to help inform members in areas they may not be well versed in - this could help expand our overall knowledge base and perhaps draw in some newcomers and suplement the more detailed talks by invited guests. Not sure if this actually came up at the meeting but I would love to have something like an SPS tutorial.

Thanks for the chance to throw some ideas out there!

The group buy idea is pretty good to as it would allow us to use some group buying power - the trick will be finding enough people who want the same thing!

I like the tank at OMSI idea, my only concern is that they are alway's changing exhibit's. Is this something that they would want for a long term exhibit. The other Idea is what about the Oregon

Zoo as a possible tank location.

The only negative thought i had about the zoo was how far away it is from alot of members, but i'm sure that can be figured out.

Thought this was interesting:

Thats what they have at the senaca zoo in ny.The URSNY maintain a reef tank there, and have been doing so since 2002. David Playfair (a former RC regular that had many followers) was one of the guys that got this project going.

As far as I recall it is a 540g reeftank made of glass. It is installed in a large room that has huge windows to view polar bears on the left and sea lions to the right.

Each Sunday, one or more members go to work on the tank.

They have specific rules, such as you can't kill anything in the tank. So aiptasia can't be nuked, and flatworms get to thrive. Kind of crazy, but the signed contract requires that they follow the guidelines. In front of the tank are two permanent binders that have heavily-laminated pages about each animal or coral in the tank.

read more here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1126060

usually 5' and 6' lengths for most sizes IME. Also gotsta think about cast vs extruded and if cast - what wall thickness. Try not to make it too complicated else it prolly won't happen. If everyone wants 2' of a different size or type, kinda hard to justify any sort of group buy. *Generally* speaking, anything 8" diameter and above will be cast, below that can be cast or extruded. Most common wall thickness for extruded is 1/8" and for cast is 1/8" and 1/4" wall thicknesses. For cast materials, the cost difference between 1/8" and 1/4" is relatively insignificant, kinda one of those things - if you're willing to spend $30/ft for 1/8" wall, why not $34/ft for 1/4" wall.

As a preliminary thought, howsabout:

6" diameter x 1/8" wall cast and/or extruded, see how response goes

8" diameter x 1/4" wall cast

10" diameter x 1/4" wall cast

James

• 11 years later...
4 hours ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Remove tanks for teachers from specialized topic and put it back in it's own sub group like it used to be. It's just too cluttered with TFT mixed in randomly with the other topics

I like this idea.  Would be nice to surface that material more as a featured item.  Might also encourage more updates.  Hey Cherany, what do you think @Flashy Fins ?  BTW - congrats @CrabbyCrabs for finding and posting in this thread for the first time in 12 years!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. Sponsoring a tank locally (OMSI?) and/or at the Hatfield - this seems like a nice combination of educational opportunity and way to raise awareness of the group.

I work at the Clackamas Aquatic Park and think that it would be a wonderful space to sponsor a tank. We have a beach themed room that I think would be the perfect spot. I am well versed in tank maintenance, and am on sight here 6 days a week. I may not be the best person to lead a educational program, but I am more then willing to step up in any way that I am able to help. If this is something that the group would be interested in I am more then happy to speak with management about their openness to this idea. I think they would be pleased with the idea as long as it was at no cost to them, and I maintenance the tank off the clock which I'm more then happy to do. This is located in a part of the facility that non paying parties are able to view. So if members want to come and look at the tank there would be no admission required.       

https://ncprd.com/aquatic-park

Edited by householdofpayne
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, householdofpayne said:

I work at the Clackamas Aquatic Park and think that it would be a wonderful space to sponsor a tank. We have a beach themed room that I think would be the perfect spot. I am well versed in tank maintenance, and am on sight here 6 days a week. I may not be the best person to lead a educational program, but I am more then willing to step up in any way that I am able to help. If this is something that the group would be interested in I am more then happy to speak with management about their openness to this idea. I think they would be pleased with the idea as long as it was at no cost to them, and I maintenance the tank off the clock which I'm more then happy to do. This is located in a part of the facility that non paying parties are able to view. So if members want to come and look at the tank there would be no admission required.       

https://ncprd.com/aquatic-park

Interesting idea. We did have some sponsored tanks at Hatfield but they decided to take down their warm water displays a while back and Sid (Intoythemystic) rehomed the livestock).  Kind of a bummer. Tagging the officers/bod just so this doesn’t get missed. @badxgillen @Flashy Fins @Jeremevans @Lexinverts @youcallmenny @Gumby @Paratore @lewisriverfisherman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1