Giant clams as biofilters

stylaster

It all depends on the nem you have. Rose bubble tips don't have a very strong sting compared to some other species.

Mine have a pretty visiouse sting. They touch pretty much anything and it dies; only exception is my blue ridge which is aparantly immune.

I have 13 various 7"+ clams' date=' always looking to add more. It just makes sense that they help the quality of the water, they are an amazing filter feeder.[/quote']

Wow, do you happen to have a picture of your clam garden (naughty)

Very interesting read.. so would you say by adding 1-2 two clams per 75-100gals enough to reduce the toxic levels that you could increase your bio load above what you would normally have for a similar set up with out them .. example: say you tank would support 5 fish with out any noticeable traces.. that you could double the load to 10 with out problems? or that it would negate the need for various types of mechanical filtration with an equivalent bio load?

Example on a 40g b you have a small skimmer and refugium. By adding 1-2 small to medium clams (3-5 inches) you could spare the expense of those ( skimmer and refugium) and still have a happy system? or would these be something that would help keep the system stable?

thanks for you input in advance.

I have been doing this for years. Get a medium sized derasa (8-10") per 50g or so will do a great job in nitrate and phosphate reduction, of course depending on your bioload. I personally have a 10" deresa, a 4" maxima and 5" crocea in my 120 with 3 fish and have no detectable nitrates or phosphates. Something to think about for those of you fighting nitrate / phosphate issues. Also here is an interesting article about it

http://www.aquasearch.net.au/aqua/clambiofilter.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would try not to run a system without a skimmer. (i am experimenting on a frag tank without one) The skimmer takes out a lot of doc that a clam wouldnt. The clams are a boost to the water quality, but i would still run your reef via berlin method, which most of us do

As for the saturation point of having too many clams, im not sure what that is. Its something you would have to test. IE add a new clam each week check your nitrate / phosphate levels see if there is a change. Keep the same amount of fish and feeding schedule so you dont skew the results. I have seen some great tanks packed with clams and low fish load and the clams are doing fine....(cough shaun) hehe