Is this normal?

Derbird

Before I freek out I figured I should ask the experts

I have a brand new Tek light 5' 8 bulb fixture. I just filled it with new ATI bulbs. Its only been about twenty minutes but they are turning on and off randomly. Is this a normal break in or is my fixture or bulbs defective. I have never had new T-5 bulbs before so I'm not sure if this is just part of it or if I should start (cussing)

I turned them all to the 90 degree position and they all lit up just fine before I hung them. Its two of the actinic and one purple that are doing it.

I hope I don't have to take it out again. Its a pain but I will if I have to DOH!

Oh by the way. I have a pretty nem in the tank for you :) Courtesy of CoralCrazy. As normal stunning stuff at crazy prices :)

It could be the ballast. I have had a ballast go out on me in the past and it did exactly what you are describing. I know my LFS always puts in the bulbs and tests the fixtures before selling because things like this do happen new out of the box. No biggie though I'm sure whomever you got it from will replace it, just a hassle. Could be something else as well I'm no expert.

Bulbs are now off (good idea). Its a new Tek light and I got it at TPA so I should be covered. Both have a good reputation for taking care of there customers. It's starnge that all four ballests would be bad though. Oh well all will be good in the end.