Tunze 9002

I added water daily for three years on my current cube...no ATO...it doesnt have a top and evaporates roughly 3/4 gallon per day.

feed fish, add water, add kh and ca...thats my daily regiment.

Sure but how realistic is that? The first few weeks i can see you doing it daily but it's just a matter of time before you forget. Just a thought

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I like topping off manualy because one I can be more precise and two it forces me to check on the tank and the sump daily. I feed in the morning and at night so I keep a five gallon water jug by the tank and if its low dump some in in its realy easy way to stay involved with the tank and no accidental over fills / floods =)

Well, for the most part, people have had good luck with the 9002. There are the few odd ones that haven't but the overwhelming majority have great success.

And I wonder if the ones that have poor luck with it just don't quite understand how to tune a skimmer?

At some point, I want to play around with building my own airstone skimmer, but that will probably wait till the fall or winter when I'm not playing around outside in the good weather.

Really, all you need is a limewood airstone, air pump, and a hunk of tubing and some way to collect the foam that comes out of the top of the tube. It's dirt simple.

It's my opinion that one of the things that keeps you from skimming dry with most of these limewood airstone skimmers is that they neck down at the top and kinda break down the bubbles as they come up to the drain tube. This seems to force you to have to skim a bit wet.

It you just had an open top and a collection cup like most modern skimmers, you could probably skim a lot drier.

And this is all just in-my-brain-theory, but it may be valid.

The tunze I recently bought from Noob has been working great. Yes, I have to top off the water every day but I do that already. It's a little hard to fine tune but it pulls out dark wet skimmate. As far as fine tuning, there is a simple mod to do for that on youtube.