LFS Update - Who's Left?

ocboat

I'm in the process of changing tanks and have not visited any local stores for many months. I'm just curious to see who is still in business. I know that Upscales is still around as is The Premium aquarium but I'm not sure who else is still around. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been in and out of the hobby for the last 17 years and I have never seen so many places open and close so quickly. Upscales is the only shop still open since I have been in the hobby.

Just a heads up. I was in Saltwater Fantaseas 3-4ish weeks ago and every fish in every tank had Ich

Rose City relocated to Tigard

Thats hilarious-especially since they run copper, must be some mutated strain of ich-

or ........(nutty) sorry but I hit SWF at least once a week and guess I missed the outbreak-(scratch)

anyway its easier to answer who is not open anymore.

Westside, Rose City oh and the Nano Reef-but 2 of those stores were not open when you were around

Thats hilarious-especially since they run copper, must be some mutated strain of ich-

or ........(nutty) sorry but I hit SWF at least once a week and guess I missed the outbreak-(scratch)

anyway its easier to answer who is not open anymore.

Westside, Rose City oh and the Nano Reef-but 2 of those stores were not open when you were around

I was kind of shocked myself... Even the few fish in the coral tanks had it

I liked the TPA. Nice corals tank. Clean. Wish they had some sort of visual pricing. Hard to tell if Im looking at a $50 coral or $150. That being said when I asked his prices seemed great. I will be buying a lot of livestock from them.

I went to seahorse aquarium and walked in and walked out. Pretty bad. Nobody even said hello.

Been to saltwater fantas sea and lots of fish had ich. The owner was friendly. They had some nice corals. They have a few nice displays. Never seen a coldwater display in a fish store before. Would not buy fish from them but maybe corals.

I hear upscales is good but have not been.

I have not been to Garrett's shop yet but it seems nice from the word from other members, I spend most of my money at Fantaseas, Patrick is very honest and has bent over backwards to help me when I had ich, and didn't know really what I was doing in the beginning. He also will always let you swap a fish, coral, invert, If it doesn't work with your tank.

Upscales has really changed my first opinion of them around. I could not stand to be in there but now they are really great to deal with. Tom is awesome and Travis has really been much more helpful and nice lately. Those are the two shops I visit most. Both have good rodi water, both have knowledgable, and kind employees. Which seems to be few and far between in this hobby lately.

Seahorse is kind of sketch IMO, but that's just an opinion. I bought water there and had horrible diatom issues for months.

Hollywood aquarium in Lake Oswego seem to feel superior to their customers, won't ever be in that store again.

Hope this helps, just blunt, honest opinions from experience in each shop.

Really the only option if you want to be treated like a valued customer and not feel like your going into a car dealership like the local shops. Patrick had really stepped up at saltwater fantaseas as well

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

+1 on this never liked Cosmo at ocean in a box...always made me feel like I should be buying a car and I get the feeling he'd sell me a lemon for top price on a new jag.

2 of the stores mentioned will ignore the specs of your tank and sell you inappropriate items for maximum profit so arm yourself with restraint and a solid idea of what you want, a critical eye for bull**** and diseased animals, and you should be good. Ok 3 of those stores on the disease issue.l ended up with parasites a couple months ago, new ones not ich, they live in the gills. Those fish of course I had not quarantined and boy did I pay. Oddly I bought my yellow tang from one of those stores a few years ago and he has never had a problem. I don't even think it is possible to avoid buying a fish that has been exposed to ich, tell you the truth. The shops do their best but it's probable that certain LA wholesalers burn through so many fish they don't even notice when they ship sick ones. The industry tries to keep the fish well but ich happens. And worse.

Love Premium Aquarium though, wish it was not so far away! Upscales is solid, if I didn't already have all their stuff I would go there more (: .

People need to quit blaming fish stores on selling them a fish that won't work in the size of aquarium. We as the hobbyist should be asking the questions not them. I ask every time if the fish is fit for my size tank' date=' and tank mates. I've never once been misguided by Patrick or Tom.[/quote']

Your right we shouldn't blame fish stores for selling us fish that don't work, especially if we choose to be uneducated about our hobby. I am a trick question person though (meaning) the first time I go to a fish store I ask all the questions I can think of most of which I already know the answers too. This way I know whether they are BSing me or not. If I find that they aren't able to answer my questions due either to lack of knowledge or wanting to sell me something they know won't work for me, well that's the last time I go to that store. I understand they need to make a profit, but good guidance from a LFS will bring me back and make me loyal to that store. Even if my purchases don't always work out.

Very good idea! I just hear so many people blaming pretty much every store for a purchase they made. All we have to do is ask key questions or do some research. But I agree some store may and will screw people over. I personally have never run into the issue and I always hope none of us do!

Very good idea! I just hear so many people blaming pretty much every store for a purchase they made. All we have to do is ask key questions or do some research. But I agree some store may and will screw people over. I personally have never run into the issue and I always hope none of us do!

Well I have a favorite saying...."screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me." Not a bad way to look at things.

People need to quit blaming fish stores on selling them a fish that won't work in the size of aquarium. We as the hobbyist should be asking the questions not them. I ask every time if the fish is fit for my size tank' date=' and tank mates. I've never once been misguided by Patrick or Tom.[/quote']

QFT!

It's our job as a consumer to research the fish/animals we wish to buy. If you go buy a great dane and live in a one bedroom apartment with no yard; is it the job of the dog breeder to not sell you the dog because it will be miserable?

There is only one store I wont visit anymore dont really care if they have gotten better or not.

"screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me."

Perfect quote.

Never had an issue with OIAB, Cos has always treated me right and one of the only fish stores I have heard a owner respond to "will that tang go in my 40 gallon tank" With "no it wont". Unlike another store that the owner (i watched and heard this) say "Yeah, that clown tang will be fine in your 29 gallon tank".

Just visited Upscales yesterday for the first time and was very impressed.

Everyone says TPA is the best, I never get to salem except for work so I have yet to get in there. One of these days I will. Garret seems like a great guy and owner.

I was at Seahorse a few weeks back and that place looks really bad. Tanks were very dirty and the fish didnt look at that well. Might of been a off day. Woody has always been good to me.

Cayes is great, but I dont get over there to much and I think there salt selection has gone down a bit.

Everyone has there opinions, its best to just try your luck. Goes back to Kimberlees quote. Live and learn.