Garretts 65g stoney build

Garrett

[ATTACH]13060[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13061[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13062[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13063[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13064[/ATTACH]

Well most of you dont know me but why not show off all my hard work anyways. Ive been in the hobby for nearly a year now and my plan is too have this tank be an SPS dominated tank with some LPS and zoos/ricordeas as well. I started wityh an awful 20g which i upgraded from quickly. at that point i knew very little and basically nothing of corals. My 150g that some of you may know me from was a huge learning expierence for me and definately made me a way bigger hobbyist, i spend my time now working/sleeping/eating/reefing-researching (nutty)!!

The only reason i shut down my 150 was to move out of my parents finally!!!(whistle), im 20 so im a late bloomer but theres worse ahah but upon shutting it down i knew the next reef i set up would be much better, either way ive been working on this system for about a month and half 2 months now and its finally cycling!!!!!(rock2)(rock2)(rock2)

equipment list

-65 truvu purchased from Grassi, thanks again man, this tank is drilled for a closed loop, which was a big reason i chose this tank (it also came with stand which i sanded, repainted, and rehinged

-2 250 watt MH, lumen reflectors with a dual galaxy ballast and radium bulbs ( im aware this isnt the best ballast for bulbs but it is energy effecient

-standard 20l for sump, no baffles, i had another sump i was going to use but it ended up leaking around the bottom seals, it wasnt worth the extra effort for the sump so i just used the standard 20 i had which ill upgrade later

-Gen x 30, for my main source of flow in the closed loop

-2 koralia powerheads, one 750gph and one 1400

-Reef octupus skimmer, rated for 150g

-reef octupus calc reactor, not sure of model

-eco 1056 internal pump for my return

-simple auto top off i found at Seahorse

- BRS carbon reactor obviously for carbon and gfo, im going to try a single reactor for both unless i dont see results i want

Future equipment plans

-eventually i want to add biopellets too the system, ive been interested in them since i really started reefing with the 150 by seeing it when it was set up in Aquaman30k's hands was truely incredible, he had alot of really nice equipment but thats a piece i think added to his succes since hbow heavy he was stocked

-DISPLAY FUGE!! this is the biggest upgrade i want to add to my system, its been part of the plan prior to even purchasing the tank, the 20l i planned on ussing for fuge ended up getting used as sump and now i need to upgrade sumps due to the lack of head it can take while keeping my skimmer at a good level , but i promise i will eventually have my mangrove display just give me time.

This system i started with basically 95% dry rock from MarcoRocks which i used before for my part of my rock for 150 i really like this rock easy to shape very porous and now its wet i probably have closer to 100lbs or so from originall 75 lbs dry ordered, i also put in a medium size LR too seed the system. I decided to do just a small sand bed with coral rubble compared to my dsp in my 150 this is because i can have way way way more flow without the duststorm. My main plan for tank is small left island of rock will have LPS and probably my rics zoos and possibly another bubble tip, while the much larger rock work on right side will be basically all SPS

FISH PLAN

-3 blue chromis (in tank cycling)

-one orange false perc, (which is my first fish ive ever owned hes about a year maybe older now including his devoloping period, his partner got eaten by a snowflake eel i bought, really stupid of me i know and now eels gone =/ )either way i want to pair him with a black and white false perc

-3 firefish, for a second contrasting school to chromis

-and whatever else i impulse buy hahaha for fish though im trying to go plain simple cheap and letting my corals do the talking

[ATTACH]13060[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13061[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13062[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13063[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13064[/ATTACH]

post-8626-141867790265_thumb.jpg

post-8626-141867790268_thumb.jpg

post-8626-14186779027_thumb.jpg

post-8626-141867790271_thumb.jpg

post-8626-141867790272_thumb.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh forgot to mention the obvious part that the sump is outside of stand, the stand is pretty short, idc either way as long as i have a home for corals, it gives me a good look down into tank, either way though the skimmer wont fit in stand and only small sumps/tanks will, i had planned with the original refugium idea was have the sump out for extremely easy access and itll allow me to keep and eye on everything in the sump make sure its all in good shape, so the short stand ended up not mattering at all, it allowed me plenty of room to hide power cords, and my external gen x pump is in their to dampn the noise cause its not the quietest

our apartments going to be filled in tanks shortly' date=' the girls arent very happy about it ha(wife)[/quote']

Been there before, 4 tanks in a second floor apartment-(laugh)

The build sounds good, but ya gotta open a photobucket account IMO, so you can copy the "img code" vs adding jpeg attachments

Thanks derbird, mainly i wanted to do a mangrove garden so theyd half to be out for misting and growth, i think its really pretty and adds anither aspect to our tank i love the idea of growing trees with fish poop thats recycling in nature at its fonest

Thanks derbird' date=' mainly i wanted to do a mangrove garden so theyd half to be out for misting and growth, i think its really pretty and adds anither aspect to our tank i love the idea of growing trees with fish poop thats recycling in nature at its fonest[/quote']

That sound like it would look great. Besides I grow all my plants with fish poop. Its were all the water changes from my fresh tanks go. I have thought about using the skimmate too, but I fear it has too much salt for the plants.

Haha i used skimmate on my parents banana tree in their back yard ha, figured what the heck the salt is outweighed by the liquid fertlizer basically ha, idk a full ecosystem is what im trying to achieve and i dont like calurpa, or chaeto so why not go all out

• 3 weeks later...

Well, 2/3 chromis were lost in cycle, but its over and getting stocked quick, transfered my clown over and bought him a new buddy, the chromis schools with then for right now. Mainly just updwting causr i got a fish ive wsbted for awhile, a adult full size melanurs wrasse today, still hiding in the sand ill get pictures up tomorrow. Also ive stocked a few sps frags, mille, birdsnest, purple monti cap, orange monti cap,stylo, some zoos and my rics going to get filled quicj

FISH PLAN

-3 blue chromis (in tank cycling)

-one orange false perc, (which is my first fish ive ever owned hes about a year maybe older now including his devoloping period, his partner got eaten by a snowflake eel i bought, really stupid of me i know and now eels gone =/ )either way i want to pair him with a black and white false perc

-3 firefish, for a second contrasting school to chromis

-and whatever else i impulse buy hahaha for fish though im trying to go plain simple cheap and letting my corals do the talking

Well' date=' 2/3 chromis were lost in cycle[/color'], but its over and getting stocked quick, transfered my clown over and bought him a new buddy, the chromis schools with then for right now. Mainly just updwting causr i got a fish ive wsbted for awhile, a adult full size melanurs wrasse today, still hiding in the sand ill get pictures up tomorrow. Also ive stocked a few sps frags, mille, birdsnest, purple monti cap, orange monti cap,stylo, some zoos and my rics going to get filled quicj

Oh and your buddy brad' date=' wannareef [i']put two full size wrasses and hundreds of dollars in coral in an uncycled tank[/i], so why are you even commenting on how I DID my cycle.

Whatchoo talkin bout Willis-(scratch)

FWIW, the only thing I have ever put in an uncycled tank (barring my recent QT disaster) where damsels-I too used to cycle the Michael Vick way-(whistle)

(backtotopic)

well not even a week later traded in the melanarus, he f***** up he was digging in my sand bed that wasnt deep enough to get coozy =( and kept flipping stuff over. for the better of him and me not wanting to having unflip corals i took him back and got a cool little mille frag heres also some pics of the live stock

9ecd08ff.jpg

these acans from swf

caa2f24c.jpg

48693126.jpg

14044a1d.jpg

d30fa9c8.jpg

ad3ef145.jpg

this guy here was my first fish, ive had him 9-10 months hes probably about a year now. sadly been threw 3 tanks. he should be in this one for awhile though hes my favorite

38132494.jpg