My AEFW treatment thread

reefnjunkie

Ah hindsight-(laugh)

On a positive note I have 7 frags of purple monster now-my larger pices started to melt a little and I got nervous so out came the fragging tools. All in all it was the lemonade that sucked, the frogskin was huge but I have frags of it and really everything else. I did lose the crayola plana but it was not the neatest.

The Del Fuego survived, that was key to me, as did all my Oregon Torts and a lot of the other designer named pieces I had. In the end it was a lesson, a VAULABLE lesson somewhere in the area of a say 1000.00-1200.00+ DOH!

(laugh)

Quarantine always for me going forward, and yes I have a WELL thought out procedure that does not involving killing corals, just pests

(drinking)

Awww sorry to hear about that Brad. Thanks for sharing. I think you are right you should have probably had the tank go through the cycling process. I have added corals right away to a new tank and used water from my old tank but they were always softies like zoas. I bet you're right that the sps were stressed by the treatment as well as the less stable environment.

I agree it probably makes more sense to have a tank set up ready to go for the quarantine process. That is what I have found with quarantining fish. I just was using an oceanic biocube that was constantly running. I didn't treat with copper. It was mainly just to make sure the fish were healthy before transferring them into the big tank.

Oh man that sucks man, I kinda of know how you feel. When swapping systems I lost some larger colonies and the funniest part was I lost all the colonies that I had for the longest time. One thing I thought about was to just use my display tank as the quarantine tank instead of setting up a separate tank. With this method I would take all acros out weekly an dip and turkey baste for 5-6 weeks and see where it goes. when you take all your acros out and put them into a completely different environment with different flow, different lighting things stress and when your dipping them weekly things can take negitive turns. The good thing for your case is you Have back ups of all your Prized coloines. Did you ever end up testing for ammonia?

Never tested ammonia, I am sure it was a cycle, and cant believe I never considered that-Dumass

Thanks for the offer Trent, I have already replaced the Carolina colony or however its pronounced and the only other melters were a colony I was going to get rid of so no tears shed there and a simplex that I have been growing that I got from Tim at Westide- That sort of bummed me out-I've not seen any Purple Simplex locally.

The other was my Atlantis Crayola Plana but that was not that nice IMO, over rated.

I have a lot of new corals that are growing out so its not that bad, other than the pink lemonade and the now purple monster, that was 3 years down the drain.

Issac it could have been much worse I'll give ya that, but in hindsight it was all avoidable- Dang I wish I would have read that small part somewhere-In all the readings, of all the threads nowhere I saw anyone that set up a QT did they mention a cycle- I just read.....................

ah the heck with it, its over

Live and learn SUCKER-(laugh)

My tank was going to be to crowded anyway