Refugium Junk Storm

Toby Flenderson

I don't clean three of the walls in my refugium and lately my cheato and other macros have stopped growing and gotten brown crud on them. Tonight (i don't know what i was thinking) I scraped the walls of the fuge and it unleashed this s**t storm in my tank of flaky, slimy algae. I am running a full reactor of carbon right now. Im just wondering if others clean there refugium? and whats up with the stoppage of macro growth?

Could be time for a new bulb. When they get old the good stuff stops growing and the bad stuff starts to grow more.

Edit:

I use this bulb, its awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KEL4EA/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00

I was thinking about that and i put a new bulb in a week ago. I got this one from home depot, im 99.9% sure i have used this before.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lighting-fans/light-bulbs/ecosmart/23-watt-120w-r40-daylight-1-pack-e-39262.html#.UCNAhKDWCt8

Is this connected to ur new frag tank? Adding that much water could have depleted your nutrients' date=' thus causing your macroalgae to not have anything to grow with. Just a thought.[/quote']

It started after I went without a filter sock for a few weeks and stated to increase my feedings. I went back to using socks again and after that did a major weed out, taking out and trimming the browned out macro. since then no growth.

The spectrum on the bulb you posted is only 5000k, a good start but I have found that macro grows best under a 6500k spectrum. When I was using a 5500k bulb I had tremendous amounts of cyanobacteria growing in my fuge, and my chaeto barely did anything. Since switching to the 6500, my chateo has probably quadrupled in size over the last few months. But like cuttlefish said, it could be because that since theres more water volume the nutrients aren't as potent in the water thus making it harder for your greenery to pull them out.