33G Looooooooooooooooong

bored808

Hey, so as you guys may know, i have a 55g tank thats been set up as a reef aquarium.

a few of you guys may also know, its not in my house.

so.... as a coral addict, since ive moved in to my new place, I wanted an aquarium of my own.

I love my 55g, but i dont really like the dimensions.

I played with the idea, and been going through a few different options of tanks,sorry to a few of you whom i may have wanted to buy a tank off of (Kim lol) and finally decided on a 33 long.

I've been piecing together, and selling off almost every extra frag, toys, and whatever else i could scrounge out to get this build on its way. I am almost done, still contemplating on my lighting, and waiting on a stand, but basically ready to add water and wait for a month or two... lol

since i did such a ghetto job on my last tank, i hope for this tank to be my clean tank, but its also more likely to be my frag tank. We'll see how it will pan out.

currently supposed to be doing homework, so i hope to get a few pictures up some time this week.

Cool 33L's are pretty nice, I have my snake in one :)

The only problem with them is they are still only 12" wide but other than that it will make a rocking frag tank

Thats pretty cool, i can imagine it being a good critter holder, due to its depth

like you said, 12" isnt much room to play with, but i love the look of shallow reefs.

hmm so i currently got a dual 250 mh setup,

i am thinking it may be a bit much, and i wanna give t5's a shot. what do you think

4 bulb or 6 bulb on a 12" wide tank???

maybe a 6 bulb 36" fixture?

options options....

oh and i painted the back of my tank black, will post pix up tomorrow!

I would think one 250 on that tank would be insane two would be trying to boil the water. If you mounted the one 250 high enough you could get some good coverage on that tank would want to build a custom reflector for it though. Just a thought also could do leds for a decent price on a tank that size. But I sm biased to leds so its just my opinion =)

I would think one 250 on that tank would be insane two would be trying to boil the water. If you mounted the one 250 high enough you could get some good coverage on that tank would want to build a custom reflector for it though. Just a thought also could do leds for a decent price on a tank that size. But I sm biased to leds so its just my opinion =)

led's ftw, but i just dont have the cash for it... aka hit my total limit on spending lol

do u know any good cheap led solutions?

i may just pull my led's off of my 55g.

With such a shallow tank I would think a 4-bulb fixture would be fine. Six would be great but you may need to get little sun glasses for all your critters :) Plus a six bulb might be wider then the tank.

I think duel 250 watts would just be overkill to the max. One might work but would it give you enough coverage on a four foot tank?