Pump For Frag Tank

Toby Flenderson

I'm plumbing in a 36g shallow frag tank to my sump and I'm wondering what size pump/ how much water turnover I will need and how do i measure that? I was thinking about T'ing off my return pump which is a pcx40. The tank I got has a 1" inlet and 2x 1" drains already installed so I was going to use that setup which would gravity drain back to the sump.

I finished my prop tank project today and thought i would share some pictures. I ended up running water off a T on the main pump. Not sure how much turn over I'm getting but I have it opened as far as the drain can handle. The ball valve going to main display tank is still not open all the way, this pump has some major power for the money. I set up a 250 watt halide fixture above with an opposite lighting schedule as the main running 8 hours. I'm wondering how far off the water i should hang the light and if it would be a good idea to add a fish or two. If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated.

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

Looking good (clap) It would be so nice to have a frag tank and yours looks really nice!

And for fish

Fish poop = Coral food :)

Thanks, I've been wanting to start this tank for a while. Can't wait to start filling it up! I'm trying to decide what type of fish to put in there and I'm thinking about 3 green chromis.

I like that you can put dividers in there, you could put anemones in the center and propagate them. Or anything with sweepers. I think you kinda have to have a fish in there, the coral like the waste and a reliable herbivore will keep algae in check. If it's a species prone to jumping it's a drag, must have a lid. Course if you put a lid on it see how much dust accumulates, if it's like mine then you have to wonder if all that stuff is really ok in an open top tank. Appalling amount of dust in my house.

I have a lavendar tng in my frag tank, its an algae eating machine, its also a murderer, it killed my chevron tang in less than 28 hours-(flame), its always the cheap fish that kills the expensive fish.

Anyway my frag tank has some form of algae, maybe bryopsis, I dont know for sure, but I'll put any frag that has algae on it in yhe lower frag rack and the following day its spotless.

I would add a small CUC even if you are sticking with bare bottom, I went BB and have more snails than crabs but when the crabs out grow the shells they are in now its into the main display they go (to stay). I just dont see a reason to have them with a BB tank, every time I do a water change I siphon all the detritus from the bottom anyway.

Nice looking frag tank you got!

Thanks, the one nice thing is, if I choose the wrong fish it will be easy to catch for once. One more question, any idea how high off the water line to hang the 250 watt MH? All the frags will be on the same level for now. Almost all will be high light sps, I'll place lower light corals toward the edges.