Massive water change!

J-Dog

After being frustrated, once again, with the new tank, I've come to realize that I need to do a large one time water change. When I first got the tank setup, I had great PE on all my frags, and everything looked very happy. Now, some of my frags don't have any PE, while another frag right next to it is looking awesome.....some have even died and I have no idea why. All my parameters look great, so once again, I am stumped on why my SPS aren't happy. Something in my water is also causing my skimmer to overflow and I have no idea what it is. The manufacturer told me to run carbon to remove whatever it is, but it has been 3 months now and it has hardly gotten any better (that's with 10% water changes twice a month).

I want to do a 100 gallon water change, in hopes that it will help with my problems. The only problem I have is that I don't have any containers large enough to mix and hold that much water. Does anyone know where I can get some large tubs or barrels in order for me to do this one time water change? If anyone has something I can borrow, I would greatly appreciate the help. Or maybe I can rent some stuff.....let me know if u can help, thanks.

I'd suspect someone close to you has some rain barrel type containers youcan use, if not craigslist for about 20 each.

regarding the problems your having on the skimmer, is the water level consistant with no fluctuations where the skimmer sits? Thats my first guess.

Regarding the SPS, I suggest pulling one out that looks bad and dipping it in CoralRX or the likes for 10 mins and hitting it with a turkey baster. If all your params stay stable which again I assume so, it sounds like it could be some type of pest-like AEFW

GL

Could you post what water tests you have done so far and what your readings are? Assuming depth is correct and everything is mechanically sound on the skimmer, try cleaning out the collection cup, re installing it and then cranking up the flow on the skimmer so you are intentionally over flowing it, take out the stopper and let it flow back to the sump. Leave it like this for an hour or so and see if this helps. Its worked for me in the past.

I'd suspect someone close to you has some rain barrel type containers youcan use, if not craigslist for about 20 each.

regarding the problems your having on the skimmer, is the water level consistant with no fluctuations where the skimmer sits? Thats my first guess.

Regarding the SPS, I suggest pulling one out that looks bad and dipping it in CoralRX or the likes for 10 mins and hitting it with a turkey baster. If all your params stay stable which again I assume so, it sounds like it could be some type of pest-like AEFW

GL

The water level is always kept constant....I know this because if it gets higher than normal, my skimmer will totally overflow.

Most of the frags area growing great, I just can't get any polyp extension. I have milli's that are fine, except for one that has zero extension. I took it out to see if a dip in CoralRx would work, but it had no affect. Is there anyway for me to test for AEFW?

I have a couple of troughs I can lend you. I used them to store my live rock in while cleaning it. Each is well over 50 gallons.

Thanks!...two troughs sound perfect. I will send u a PM tonight

Could you post what water tests you have done so far and what your readings are? Assuming depth is correct and everything is mechanically sound on the skimmer' date=' try cleaning out the collection cup, re installing it and then cranking up the flow on the skimmer so you are intentionally over flowing it, take out the stopper and let it flow back to the sump. Leave it like this for an hour or so and see if this helps. Its worked for me in the past.[/quote']

My readings are ALK-8, CAL-420, MAG-1400, nitrates-0, phosphates-0.01

I will try your skimmer trick, but I don't know how that will help. I can't adjust the pump speed, so I will just take the cup off and let it overflow. I hope it helps!

Why would a filter sock make your skimmer overflow?

maybe residual soap from a washing machine? that's probably not good.

Im not sure what skimmer you are using but im not talking about pump speed. You should have some way of adjusting air flow, one way the water level rises in the cone, the other it goes down.

maybe residual soap from a washing machine? that's probably not good.

Im not sure what skimmer you are using but im not talking about pump speed. You should have some way of adjusting air flow, one way the water level rises in the cone, the other it goes down.

I have an ATB skimmer and it didn't come with any air adjuster. I will inquire about it though

With regard to the skimmer, i have had to raise mine to the upper limit in my sump and i was able to control it much better. I also went thru a PE problem and ended up finding a hydrophoria that had forgotten about in my sump and was slowly dying and releasing toxins. I had to change out my carbon 2x/wk as compared to every 2-3 weeks. Small water changes would help for about 3-4 days but then the PE issue would show back up. Just my two cents

Bump your alk to 9-10

Aefw's usually leave dead patches on the underside of sps...look on rc, or melevs reef for more info on em.

What are your temp swings day and night?

Go to hd or lowes and just get yourself a couple big ol trash cans...45 gallon rubbermaids. Always good to have around.

Sometimes corals don't show good polyp extension. It does not mean there is an immediate problem that's just how it is sometimes. If things are growing good and not TN I would not worry just yet.

It was this remark that had me post what I did;

some of my frags don't have any PE' date=' while another frag right next to it is looking awesome.....some have even died and I have no idea why. All my parameters look great, so once again, I am stumped on why my SPS aren't happy.

Is there anyway for me to test for AEFW?

For me its CoralRX Pro-follow the directions and after about 2-3 minutes hit the the coral with a turkey baster or power head and any "pests" will come off.

Anyone not dipping with as much as trades and swaps are happing in our little club is asking for trouble and I willpromise you its a matter of time before you get screwed-sad but true

Bump your alk to 9-10

Aefw's usually leave dead patches on the underside of sps...look on rc, or melevs reef for more info on em.

What are your temp swings day and night?

Go to hd or lowes and just get yourself a couple big ol trash cans...45 gallon rubbermaids. Always good to have around.

Isaac, why do I need to raise my alk to 9-10?

My temp swings from 76-80 throughout the day

For me its CoralRX Pro-follow the directions and after about 2-3 minutes hit the the coral with a turkey baster or power head and any "pests" will come off.

Anyone not dipping with as much as trades and swaps are happing in our little club is asking for trouble and I willpromise you its a matter of time before you get screwed-sad but true

I will give it a shot and see what happens. By the way, I thought AEFW only attacked acro's.....so why would one of my milli's be acting bad?

SOOOO true. Also beware of brownout specials and dying coral give-aways...there is a reason.

I have noticed polyp extention issues with high nutrient load (phosphate and nitrates), as well as pests (AEFW and red bugs), as well as heavy metal toxicity and/or chloramines.

And i sorta have to disagree with whoever said it just happens sometimes, its just the way it is. In truth it is a good indicator something is awry

I have a feeling your skimmer is acting normally, you may be having nutrient spikes causing surges. You just need to figure out if the excess nutrients are killing the corals, or if the corals are dying from some other reason (possibilities listed above) causing the spikes themselves.

It's a highly debated topic, but generally people with the best sps kep their tanks in the 9-10 range.

I'd have to disagree with this one, as long as your alk is STABLE you can have a successful sps system. My alk runs about 7 most of the time and I wish some of my sps grew slower, lol.

What kind of fish are in the system? I rarely see any polyp extension in many of my corals... but the 11 angels in the tank may have something to do with that ;)

I have an ATB cone skimmer and I can adjust the flow into the overflow cup by rotating the vertical pipe. This rotation opens or closes the output opening, with completly open causing the least overflow. The height of the water that the skimmer sits in has a large effect and it took me awhile to get that settled.

Every time I clean my skimmer it overflows like crazy, so I have to open the output to the max and run the skimmer with the drain open for a few hours until a coating builds up on the neck. Then I close the drain valve and cut the output down some.

I'd have to disagree with this one, as long as your alk is STABLE you can have a successful sps system. My alk runs about 7 most of the time and I wish some of my sps grew slower, lol.

What kind of fish are in the system? I rarely see any polyp extension in many of my corals... but the 11 angels in the tank may have something to do with that ;)

Yes I disagree too since most of the nicest tank I have ever seen keep the alk close to NSW. Especially if you keeping an ulns then alk would almost have to stay below 9 all the time. NSW has an alk of 7-8 so there is no reason to have it any higher.

I don't know if this helped or not, but I removed the filter sock that I've been using and it has seemed to stop my skimmer issues. I'll keep my system running for a few days without it and see if the sock was the cause of the other issues. I will also try dipping the troublesome milli today and check for AEFW.....I'm not sure why one milli would have AEFW and the other milli's would not, but I will dip it anyways. Wish me luck :D

I also had a little cyano growing on the outside of the sock and in my refugium. Is this normal or should I need to be doing something to prevent it?

Like I said a highly debated topic...stability is key though, that's for sure. The range you want to be in is 7-11dKh...9 being right in the middle, leaving a small margin for error on either the high or low side.

If you run 8, and it drops to 7, then you are in the low range and your corals may suffer. Xif you run 9, then when you drop to 8, you are still safe. I see a major difference in color and pe when my tank drops to 7-8dkh, but that's because I keep it in the 9-10 range. Consistency is key, and a higher duh gives you a bigger safety net...IMO.

The filter sock may have had some residue on it...hopefully that fixes the skimmer.