How long w/out sump?

Gabe

How long would you say you could go without your sump? I am changing from the sump under the tank to a remote sump in the garage. Weekends are too valuable right now to dedicate a whole day to the project. I'm thinking 2hrs a night for 2-3 nights. I have gone as far as I can with prep before I need to remove the old sump to drill some holes in the house, complete plumbing, etc.

-120g display w/ MP40 and Korillia 4

-30g sump w/ skimmer, heater (hasn't been on in months), cheato, lots of rock, ATO thru Kalk reactor.

Do you see any problems I would run into besides needing to top off. I would probably feed less during this time.

Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks for the input,

Gabe

I did the same thing (remote sump). Why don't you make sure everything is done besides the drilling of the holes under the tank (floor). Meaning get the sump ready in the garage, run all the plumbing to the tank under the house and last drill two holes in the floor to the tank.

What return pump you running? Are you positive you have enought gravity that the water will not back-up and flood the house? Are you going with a larger sump?

Here are a few pictures of how I did mine. Also Was recommended be another person to have a drain in your plumbing under the house. Something you could flush out every so often. :) hope this helps.

PS. Should say this is one of the best things I have done. Now all the mess and noise is in the garage.

Under the house

DSC04037.jpg

DSC04035.jpg

Drain

DSC04034.jpg

To the tank

DSC04040.jpg

Sump Room

DSC03919.jpg

I'm doing a larger sump and refugium in the garage. The new sump is directly behind the display through the wall, just 2' lower. The sump is ready, as is the return manifold and pump except for some loc-line parts that are currently being used.

If all goes well I think I can do it in one evening, but nothing ever goes as plannedDOH! I'm just trying to cover all the bases before I start.

Also replacing sump under display with frag tank.

Pump is way overkill, Dolphin diamond AmpMaster 4750. I will just have to throttle it back. It was too good a deal to pass up.

There is about 7 verticle feet from water line in the display to the high water line in the sump. Only about 18" horizontal.

Pump is way overkill, Dolphin diamond AmpMaster 4750. I will just have to throttle it back. It was too good a deal to pass up.

There is about 7 verticle feet from water line in the display to the high water line in the sump. Only about 18" horizontal.

With the pump that's "overkill" T it back into the sump if you can. I ended up making a manifold that T's off the main return that runs my CaRx,, Chiller, two reactors, a frag tank and have two ball valves for expansion. Just an idea. Good luck with the project. Be sure to take some pictures. ;)

With the pump that's "overkill" T it back into the sump if you can. I ended up making a manifold that T's off the main return that runs my CaRx' date=', Chiller, two reactors, a frag tank and have two ball valves for expansion. Just an idea. Good luck with the project. Be sure to take some pictures. ;)[/quote']

Thats the idea, Frag tank, refugium, plus multiple spares.

You will be fine, I would just make sure heater is put in display and that the vortech is placed a little closer to the surface level to increase air flow/gas exchange.

I frequently lose the use of my sump for 1-5 days...stupid external pump was getting calcium carbonate buildup, then it froze last week.

The worst mistake I have made in this situation was to not move the heater to the display tank...a couple nights in the 60's doesn't help an um heated small tank.