New Fang Blenny is not eatting

alittlemark

I just got a Meiacanthus atrodorsalis on Tuesday. He is probably about 2 inches long if you include the streamers on his tail.

I am concerned that he will not find enough bugs in my tank to survive on, and so far he has ignored all of my offerings. I have been trying flakes and shredded calamari, krill, scallops, and spinach. I add selcon most times, and I tried adding some garlic for the first time this morning.

I have read about other people watching their blennies starve to death, and I really want to avoid it.

Any ideas?

You should not be to concerned yet, it can take a couple days for them to feel comfortable enough to eat after the stress of going to a new tank. Make sure you have lots of live rock for him. This will help you maintain a pod population for him to eat and provide hunting grounds for him. You can also supplement his diet by feeding him mysis shrimp. If he seems to be avoiding eating mysis or frozen food, then buy some pods, and target feed him from a turkey baster. If you want to train him to eat other foods, then mix those foods with the pods when you go to target feed, it will help him associate that the other things you put in are food as well. Most important thing you can do is add LR though, this type of blenny can eat up to 100 pods in a day.

Good points everyone. I will try to remain calm and give him a little time. I don't know if I am quite able to provide the pods that he needs with my rock. The tank is about 6 months old it has about 125 lbs of Marcos dry rock, but I seeded the tank with borrowed live sand and reefs2go pods. How do you know if you have a thriving pod population?

It's totally true that new fish can take a couple days to start feeding, however if you know the species is hard to feed (not sure if this is the case) it's important not to waste any time. Whenever adding a mandarin for example exotic foods should be introduced as soon as the fish. :)