Radion Sps tanks locally?

illcssd

Anyone locally running radions on their sps tank, and having good success?

I am not having the greatest success keeping color, or seeing any growth with mine. Trying to figure out if I need another, have it too bright, or what.

My lps does awesome on the sand bed(red, green goni, Blue scoly, alien eye chalice, Miami Hurricane chalice).

I have a hyacinthus that was a gorgeous pink/red when purchased, now is just a mix of red brown, but is doing alright. My OT frag turned brown then rtn'd. I have a red planet from Brad(Thanks man) that seems to be doing well so far, but it's only been in there 4 days, keeping color and great PE though. I have a tyree green/purple rim monti doing okay, but the rest of the sps frags/colonies I've gotten have either browned out, or browned out and started rtn'ing. If I move them back to the store and put them in the 240 cube under halides, they color back up.

I test CA/Alk/Mag daily, and it's all stable. No3 and Po4 are 0-1 and .04 respectively. Almost zero nuisance algae growth, clean the glass weekly.

Alk is at a constant 8.5

Calc stays at 420-430

Mag at 1300.

I use all elos test kits and the Hanna photometer Po4 checker.

Using Reef crystals salt. Doing a 10g water change weekly.

Aquamaxx gfo and biopellet reactor.

Mp40 for flow on reefcrest at 70%.

Vertex in-180 skimmer.

I would assume if I was bleaching them, they wouldn't brown out first. Thus my general opinion is that it's not enough light.

It's a 60g cube with 1 radion over it. Artificial mode, ramps up to 100% for about an hour over a 12 hour total light period.

I may grab the Ai from work and switch it out for a month, to see if I have any different results.

Any ideas?

I know we have successful led sps tanks, but anyone running radions successfully? If so, mind uploading your light graph for me?

When I first did LED I had some SPS that browned up .... Upscale upscales microcladus turned completly brown but it took a long time but it has come back looking better now. The same with my blue stage and others.... I didnt have anything RTN the frags i have gotten from other LED tanks ahve all done good and never browned up. Not sure if this help but it was my finding with LED's.

I have had a dimmable DIY 55 Cree LED system up and running for about 3.5 wks and my colors are popping along with much better growth! I started with running them at 55% for the first week, increasing 5% each week. Now they are at 70% for whites/high noons and 75% for blues. I have always had problems getting my blues/purples to come out even to the point i thought i had this simple purple encrusting monti, nothing special, with the new lights it's looking like Purple Haze! My dull green digi has become vibrant neon green. I am also seeing much better PE. I couldn't be happier!

It sounds like the normal adjustment corals seem to have during the first month of switching to LED's. I'm running almost the exact same setup as you and have great success keeping many sps. Any lackluster coral growth is my fault due to poor chemistry BUT everything is still alive with great polyp extension. I run my radion from 10-10 at 100% with a 1hr ramp up and down. The blue, royal blue and white are all at 100% with red at 15% and green at 40% (I could have those backwards). The color temp produced is almost identical to a 20k radium that I witnessed first hand at Vivid.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Flow as a factor.... I have no dead spots in my tank. No corals are being hit with direct flow, but they all receive various amounts of turbid random flow through the whole tank. It's not flow.

Eventually I will put an additional mp10 on the tank, but until I feel it's needed, it'll stay in the box.

I have a lot of flow in the tank between my mp40 and return lines.

I was talking to woody the other day at seahorse and he said to never use LEDs (pretty extreme), and that several of his customers have lost coral switching over. Then you look at tanks like reefjunkies and they are exploding with life and color. I believe it all comes down to the acclimation process and patience. I don't know if you familiar but "mr saltwater tank" but he has a great video series on his introduction of the Radion to his 90 gallon sps tank. I believe he also gives the step by step dimming percentages as well.

http://www.MrSaltWaterTank.com/radion/

I was talking to woody the other day at seahorse and he said to never use LEDs (pretty extreme), and that several of his customers have lost coral switching over. Then you look at tanks like reefjunkies and they are exploding with life and color. I believe it all comes down to the acclimation process and patience. I don't know if you familiar but "mr saltwater tank" but he has a great video series on his introduction of the Radion to his 90 gallon sps tank. I believe he also gives the step by step dimming percentages as well.

But he also swears to use no heaters and use plenums.. Gotta love woody though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah woody is straight old school. LEDs will and do grow Sps.

To the op question. The tank is maybe adjusting to the lighting.

I was a woody customer who lost crazy amounts of sps due to led lighting. I'm sure he is partly referring to my testimony. Granted it was on the wrong early gen type of led...they can work, but not always. Still can't beat mh/vho

No heaters are something that many experienced reefers do, but it doesn't work for everyone...system has to be large enough to sustain heat. The heater is the one thing in my tank I wish I could eliminate...lost two reefs in past due to popping heaters, doh.