Clamdrew Blake

jadams7

Ok so I got a sweet squamosa clam yesterday from JonBoy (thanks man!), got it in the tank once we got home last night, seemed to be doing just fine, and today when I got home from work it started shooting its whiteish fluids every couple of minutes or so. Its been doing it now for about 30-40 minutes. I am assuming this is it spawning, likely due to the stress from the move. The water doesn't seem to be cloudy, skimmer is doing its thing, all other corals seem lie their usual happy selves.

Question is, should I do anything (more or less flow, turn off the lights, water change, etc) or just let it 'finish' for lack of a better term? I do not have any other clams in the tank, and have it in pretty low flow as is. Salinity is right where I usually run it, and I am going to go check the rest of the parameters right now to make sure everything is on par for where it usually is.

I grabbed a video of it...

th_6ba81614.jpg

I have purposely spawned clams and never had them die. You should always do a 25% water change after a spawning event. The reason being is that bacteria attacks the spawn and starts to break it down in 24hrs. This can lead to elevated ammonia / nitrite / nitrate levels

Ok so a couple days later, the clam seems to still be doing fine. Getting used to the tank, opening up more and more, and still reacts and closes every time someone walks by. Here is a picture I snapped today. I am planning on doing about a 30-40% water change here this evening as well.

59806e9c.jpg