24" or 30" tall?

ringwurm

Guest Ahbrit

I have a 30"

S.U.C.K.S for maintenance

Looks really nice

Electricity is expensive with 430W (Recommended HQI Ballasts)

I'd recommend you build a tall stand and go 24"

30" is nice for the extra height to allow corals to grow into place.... Some of the people i have talked to that have gone to 30" did so because corals grew too close to the surface of the tank too fast. The extra room is nice to have. I scrub the Upscales Cube tank occasionally (its 30" deep) and while i cant get all the way to the bottom with my arm, thats why they make long handled scrubbers. if you can afford the 30" go with it... you will like the extra space.

Just to put my two cents in, I'd go with the 24" depth. Better light penetration as well as easier maintenance. But I do admit, the Upscales cube is frickin' awesome! I would probably drown, being on the shorter side, trying to clean a 30" deep tank.

Stacy

My 30 " tank looks great and i'm glad I didn't go 24". You are able to host more corals even the ones that don't like intense light. The extra depth is a little more effort to clean but we spent so much time and money on them why not go the exta mile....

If you can afford the extra $$$ for the tank then get the 30". I'm having a custom tank built by Aquarium Obsessed right now and I wanted to go with 30" but the cost from the 24" to 30" was $1000 more. So, I compromised and went with 26" for $190 more...

Rich

I dont mean to bust up this thread but I would like to know what everyone thinks the max coverage is for 1 400W MH bulb? I know the rule of thumb is a 2' x 2' area. But with these new lumenarc reflectors could you go 30" x 30" or 3'x3'? Maybe with some T5's help out on the edges? Just a thought. Later Ryan

Yeah Ive seen that thread. Beautiful. Well I have a 6 bulb T5 setup I love!!! Just add two more. What is your new tank size Rich? See my tank is onle like 20" deep and Im having great results with t5's. Love the color too. So you think at 24"-30" it would still be okay? My worries are about penetrating that deep. For 20" and under i would buy anything else but T5's. Hmmm...might as well use what i got. Later Ryan

If I remember right that tank is 24" deep and he has clams at the bottom of his tank. So, ya T5's should be fine for 24 inches. I decided to go deeper because I want to have some LPS and softies at the bottom without worrying about to much light.

My tank will be a 130G 4'x2'x26" tall

Rich

I'm with Theron. I'm probably going to get a 27". I'll get a tall stand too, 40+ inches. I'm 6'4" and hate bending over to look.

I figure at 27" It'll be "a little wrong and a little right". Better than all wrong at 24 or 30.