Huntington Middle School Nano Tank Build

Emerald525

Today was the big day! We met Jackie at Huntington Middle School today!(clap)(clap)(clap) Yeah we have another school tank and now one up North!

Again this build would not happen without our members and sponsors! (clap)(clap) Thanks everyone for your support!

Nick at Rosecity

JBJ nano cube with 150W HQI MH and stand

rock rubble

glass cleaner

Garrett Premium Aquarium via Mr. Tanks for teacher himself Mr.S

live sand,

HOB skimmer

thermometer

Heater

Members in no particular order:

Stylaster

Live rock, power strip, fish food

Roy also will provide ongoing support and help during the cycling process

Racefan

Rodi bucket and water, powerstrip

magicians (for later auction)

Xenia (for current tanks)

Smann

powerstrip, timer

Pink xenia (although we aren't quite sure where it went...DOH!(shy)

Tanktop/Emerald525

Quick cycle solution

nano powerhead (from previous donations)

fish food (From Oxx's party last year)

Log book

Coral magazines

30 gallons of saltwater

Refractometer (traded for 2 frags from Concreetdonkey)

Live rock (purchased at a steal from Wegotjs)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the pictures begin!

We met Roger and he did most of the heavy lifting! Thanks

DSC_0002.jpg

We got things loaded pretty quickly. That's Jackie's husband helping out! Roger again doing most of the heavy lifting!

DSC_0003.jpg

Let the fun begin!(clap) Beth getting into her tank build zone!(laugh)

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Roger getting the live sand out.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

And the build continues!

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

They also have a cute little freshwater tank!

DSC_0020.jpg

Jackie posted up a picture from the forum so the kids could see what they were getting!

DSC_0021.jpg

That's Racefan inspecting Beth's aquascape work!

DSC_0025.jpg

El Presidente putting his stamp of approval on things! Getting it all plugged up!

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Let the cycling begin!

Looking good! Love the color from the HQI bulb!(clap)(clap) It's a nifty little nano with quite the Skimmer!

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Thanks again everyone. (clap)(clap)(clap)Also everyone who donated or contributed to the TFT fundraiser at my house last month! As you know this hobby is expensive and there is no way the kids at this school could have such a nice system without our wonderful members in this forum! How I would have loved to have this in my school when I was a kid!

You guys are an amazing crew! I love to see this kind of thing come together! It will really help in education our youth about not only the hobby but marine life in general. Keep up the good work TFT!!!

TPA

Thanks for your support Garrett! I agree. Hopefully we will get a few more kids who develop a passion for the hobby and a respect of the ocean.

Looks good but a little dangerous with that skimmer. What if it overflows over a weekend? On a tank that size, doesn't the potential for harm out way the benefit?

Dennis

That's a good point Dennis. I imagine if they just put a bucket underneath or have an overflow tub to drain it would probably be fine. I also have not run skimmers on my biocube and aquapod and that worked great too with primiarly a softy tank.

Let me know when it is ready for some fish. I have some here for it.

Jackie was really excited to hear that you would donate some clownfish to her Dave.

HI everyone,

Thank you thank you thank you! The students love the tank. The water is very clear already. The palys are multiplying and there are three green mushrooms. Some small pink bumps have appeared on a small rock Roy brought too. I have assigned a guard in each class. The two special needs boys in 6th period are taking this very seriously and they are so proud. I will keep you all posted on our progress. We LOVE our tank. Mrs. Muth's Science Classes

Jackie

Great news. As Kim had mentioned, this is a class that will definitely enjoy and benefit from having the tank in their classroom. Don't forget members, next time you are trimming or fragging don't forget we have many tft tanks that could and would appreciate something new for their tanks. Tft would not be possible without all the generous help all of you offer. Thanks again.

HI everyone,

Thank you thank you thank you! The students love the tank. The water is very clear already. The palys are multiplying and there are three green mushrooms. Some small pink bumps have appeared on a small rock Roy brought too. I have assigned a guard in each class. The two special needs boys in 6th period are taking this very seriously and they are so proud. I will keep you all posted on our progress. We LOVE our tank. Mrs. Muth's Science Classes

Jackie

That's great Jackie! Thanks for keeping us posted. I can't wait to see when you can get some fish in there! You have some good resources that live near you including our President Roy! :)

Hi all,

I have been trying to post some pictures today and am having trouble. I will try taking them with my camera instead of my phone camera to see if that works better.

Are you using photobucket Jackie? The best way to post pictures is to download the pictures to photobucket and then clicking the "IMG" code

Thank you, I am using an iPhone and do not have photo bucket so I will download it and post some pictures. Also, I called Roy and left a message that the brown sediment is covering the sand and other areas of the tank. I was told about this at set up and he said to left him know so that some hermit crabs and snails could be introduced to the tank to clean this up. Is this correct?

Thanks, Jackie

That sounds like diatoms and is part of the cycling process. That's pretty quick.It usually takes 2 weeks. You can add some hermits but its not necessary. It will go away and then you typically will start getting green algae. I guess the stuff we added did speed up the process! If you can get a hold of Roy to test your water to see what your ammonia and nitrite level is that would be great. It would give us a better idea where you are in the process. Your local fish store would probably test your water for you too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

I had the water tested at Petco by Ryan and the Nitrate and ammonia levels were good. Talked to Roy too about the salinity because the store said it was too high at 1.026. He just told me to take out about a 1/2 gallon of water and replace it. I did this. I am maintaining the water level an d keeping the sides interior sides cleaned. I am using my iPhone to take pictures. I keep getting an error code when I attempt to upload them. I got photobucket and feel very silly because I still can not figure this out. Frustrating. Help! I have a bunch of pictures to share. Jackie

I had the water tested at Petco by Ryan and the Nitrate and ammonia levels were good. Talked to Roy too about the salinity because the store said it was too high at 1.026. He just told me to take out about a 1/2 gallon of water and replace it. I did this. I am maintaining the water level an d keeping the sides interior sides cleaned. I am using my iPhone to take pictures. I keep getting an error code when I attempt to upload them. I got photobucket and feel very silly because I still can not figure this out. Frustrating. Help! I have a bunch of pictures to share. Jackie

I will have Beth message you Jackie. I don't have an Iphone but she does.

once you have uploaded the pictures to Photobucket you then need to go to the website on a computer. when you are in photobucket there is an img link code for each picture, usually on the right of the picture... simply copy that link and paste it in to the post. No need to try to use the insert image button on our website... Let me know if you are still having issues.

Beth