Anyone using Thrive Bio Stimulant Crush?

nelsz3

Just picked up some of thrives new bio stimulant crush to use in a tlf phosban reactor.

I found some reviews on there additives but couldn't find much on the bio stimulant

I got some cause it is supposed to last 6-8 months as opposed to phosban that last a few weeks

Anyone else out there running any on there setups? if so are you pleased with what it does?

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are going to find that it will eventually control nitrates but phosphates are a different story. This product is Thrive's version of bio pellets. It takes a while for it to start working and it would probably behoove you to inoculate the product with some bacteria every now and then so as not to end up with a mono culture of bacteria. This product is quite different than phosban. There is a great article about bio pellets in this months issue of Coral magazine if you can get a copy to read. Actually, if you go to Coral's website, you can read the issue for free online I think. There's also lots of info on ReefCentral.

HTH

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

I recently topped off my EcoBak pellets with Thrive, no adverse effects but only time will tell if it remains as effective as in the past. With the addition of the sand in the pellets, I expect it to be more effective. Having sand to scrub the pellets and free up surface area for bacteria should help it grow bacteria faster. It will however not last as long because more bacteria = more depletion of the product.

I recently topped off my EcoBak pellets with Thrive, no adverse effects but only time will tell if it remains as effective as in the past. With the addition of the sand in the pellets, I expect it to be more effective. Having sand to scrub the pellets and free up surface area for bacteria should help it grow bacteria faster. It will however not last as long because more bacteria = more depletion of the product.

Archived