John's 10 Gallon Custom Acrylic tank build!

Islandoftiki

Ok, so how soon before I start transferring things from my pico to the 10 gallon? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get a cycle. The live rock is fully cured from J-Dog's established tank, and the sand is non-live aragonite. So far, Ammo, nitrite and nitrates are still holding at zero. I would expect if there was going to be any die-off, it would have happened within the first week. I've been dosing Nite-Out bacteria as per the recommended dosage.

I'm going to move everything over from the pico to the 10 gallon and change some stuff up on the pico and start it back up in a slightly different configuration or convert it back to freshwater so I can have some shrimp at home. :-)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here's a little update. Everything is going great with the 10 gallon tank.

This weekend, I transferred everything from the 2 gallon pico to the 10 gallon. I started by draining the pico over half way and started re-filling is slowly over an hour or so with water from the 10 gallon to acclimate everything. The two tanks are pretty similar, same salinity, temp, pH, etc etc.

After getting everything acclimated, I moved the live rock and corals over first. My pom pom crab held on tight to the main piece of rock as it moved to the new tank which left only my little sixline wrasse all alone and very confused. Once I got all of the rock situated, I managed to net my sixline without her jumping out of the tank.

The pom pom crab found a comfortable spot pretty quickly and has claimed it for himself.

My sixline hid behind the largest rock for about 20 minutes and then started slowly venturing out. By the end of the evening, she had made a pretty good cursory examination of the entire tank, but stayed close to cover most of the time.

The next morning, I came downstairs to find her thoroughly comfortable in her new home and frolicking in the water flow of the MP10. She's been very active and as always is very personable and curious about us when we're around or sitting in front of the tank watching.

I'm going to turn the pico tank into a QT tank and keep it in the basement for now. It'll eventually go into the room with the African Grey parrot. I'll have some live rock and soft corals in it to keep it interesting, and some snails and possibly a hermit.

The 10 gallon tank is super awesome.

I'll try to get some pictures/video up in a couple days. I'm still in the middle of moving in with the fiance, so I don't have a ton of time. That's probably good, it'll keep me from digging around in the tank so much this week and give things time to settle and become comfortable.

I wore gloves to handle it. Made that mistake last time, you have to wash your hands in vinegar a couple times to get the smell off.

This morning, the small piece that I super glued to the rubble is up and pulsing. The one that I had to cover in bridal netting is wiggling around. I didn't check the stump, it's in the pico, which got moved to the basement temporarily.

Ok folks, here's a quick video I threw together in about 10 minutes while I was feeding Maddy (That's the name my fiance gave the sixline). Sorry about the lousy sound track, didn't have time to find something better.

Any thoughts or suggestions for stocking the right side of the tank near where the MP10 is? There's probably too much flow for mushrooms or other low-flow corals.

Any changes or improvements you would do?

Tanks looks sweet really nice set up. I did notice in your video that at about 59sec you can see the intake on the ac70 seems to have some air in it that might be the cause of your noise you had mentioned earlier. Any how every thing looks great and that little wrasse seems to be very Happy in there =)

Yeah, that air in the pipe of the AC70 is due to the the tiny AC20 impeller not being able to move enough flow to clear it. It doesn't seem to be the source of the noise. I'm getting the same noise with either impeller (and no air in that tube). It may just be normal noise for the AC70. You can't really hear it with normal ambient room noise and the top off of it.

My full clean-up crew came from Reef Cleaners yesterday and I unleashed a herd of snails into the tank to take care of the diatom bloom. I went with 5 Florida ceriths, 4 medium-small nerites, 4 Nassarius Vibex, and pile of dwarf ceriths. That's in addition to the already existing pico crew that transferred over. The went all sickhouse on the diatoms last night. They should have the tank sparkling clean within a week.

Show and tell time!

Things are going great in the new 10 gallon tank. The clean up crew has been hard at work getting the tank nicely cleaned up.

One of my favorite new inhabitants is this crusty old Florida cerith with a fan worm attached to his shell.

FD39207F.jpg

Another one of the cerith with his fan worm.

1C09E2AE.jpg

My recently fragged Xenia.

BE0C9A8A.jpg

GSP, Zoas, etc...

9D8FC5F2.jpg

Hungry Favia. It wants brains, brains! Wait, it is a brain...

D7E5A684.jpg

Some miscellaneous corals.

F26C3296.jpg

A few new additions:

Pete and Re-Pete:

774E7CA2.jpg

Giant fluorescent green mushrooms:

8E134E0F.jpg

A tiny frag of War coral, hopefully will encrust the rock behind. I'll take it off the plug and glue it to the rock soon.

786D99BB.jpg

A beautiful fluorescent pink and blue ricordea with a green mouth:

C62874A2.jpg

And a small colony of zoas (don't know if they have a name. Don't care either):

87DAC79C.jpg

I thought you all might enjoy something a little different, so I threw together a quick video of my tank at "dusk" with only the actinic lights on. My sixline had a full tummy and is getting ready to go to sleep for the night. The cleaner shrimp are new as of yesterday and seem to be getting along really well.

Miles i don't think you have enough Acans and Zoas in that tank! J-Dog has to be yanking your cord, nice wave!

Looking great!! I always love setting up a new tank, i swear i get that itch like every month and seeing pics like this makes it worse! (laugh)

I use 2 MP10s on my 60gal cube and they do great. Here is a quick video that shows the wave i had going for awhile

th_100_3641.jpg

Quick update. Looks like my cleaner shrimp have assumed gender roles. I'm not sure if they call it the same thing for marine shrimp as they do for freshwater shrimp, but the larger one is obviously "saddled" carrying eggs in the ovaries just behind the head. I'm guessing after she molts, the eggs will drop down and she will become "berried" and the male will fertilize the eggs. So there should be a batch of babies for my sixline to eat before too long.

Tonight's project was to move all of the ricordea to one rock. The only rock with no corals on it so far.

I can't say that they were too excited about being razored off of their current rocks and rubber banded to the new rock, but they should be ok in a week or so.

Top left, fluorescent pink and blue with fluorescent green mouth. Middle two, Fluorescent blue and purple with fluorescent yellow mouth. Lower right, light green with fluorescent orange.

7BE3C5DF.jpg

• 2 weeks later...