Refug

nhoffee

hi everyone, in about 2 weeks I will be doing a hang on the back refug (CPR AquaFuge2 Large 25.5" w/ CPR Light). I have a few ideas that I want to throw out there. One is the use of miracle mud any thoughts on this or stick with suger fine sand. I am also looking to breeding Copepods/micro Algae. Some say use the refug to this. I am looking for anyone with experience to point me in the right direction for the breeding. I also want to know if it is worth it in the long run? I have been pointed to a website don't know if anyone has used it before. http://florida-aqua-farms.com/secure/agora.cgi?cart_id=5893526.13673*Lw3xY4&product=CULTURE_KITS

Thanks

I think your gonna have people on both sides of the fence with the mud or the sand. Sand of course being the most widely used. And the mud being the new and experimental item. I've purchased some mud but have yet to use it. Just still reading up on it. Sorry for not giving you a definitive answer. But the sand will work, the mud may add and break down organics over time and add benifit to the tank over time. But there's a lot of debate wether or not it does. There's also several threads on reefcentral that talk about a specific clay cat litter that works better than sand or mud:-)

I used miracle mud for about a year now. It is incredible for promoting the growth of algae that have roots. It won't help with chaeto but for most other algae it will. It has elements in it such as Iron that most people don't ever bother to supplement, and for good reason. I started with sand, and about a couple months later did miracle mud, the algae growth exploded. Your pods will breed like crazy no matter what you do :)

Archived