Calling all camera guys!

Gabe

Looking to buy a new camera with tax return. I would like a dslr, and I have my wife on board with the larger size cameras.

Our biggest question is performance taking pics of kids inside the house. The point and shoots just don't seem to be able to catch clear pics inside. If the kids are doing something cute (which only last for a moment)DOH! she doesn't want to worry about adjusting anything to take a pic.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance, Gabe

I was looking for a camera just before christmas and was really leaning towards the Nikon D3100. We went to Ritz camera to check them all out and they showed us the new Sony A35. My wife really loved the feel of it and the guy at Ritz told us to do some comparison checking on them against the Nikons and Canons. I did some reading about them and found them to be comparible to the D5100's and all the reviews of them were very positive even recommending it over the Nikon. It is comparible to the D5100 in features at closer to the D3100 price so we bought the Sony and love it! I am not sure if you are wanting to do some video with your DLSR but if you are the Sony is hands down a better camera. It will shoot full 1080p and has full auto focus while shooting video which the D3100 does not. One thing on a side note that does take a tiny bit getting used to is the eyepiece is digital not optical so it does look a little bit different but it didn't take me any time to get used to. A couple of other cool things that I like is that you can shoot thru the back view lcd screen like a point and shoot and if you lift it to your eye it has an optical sensor that detects your eye and switches to the eyepiece automatically. It also has an 11 point (if I remember correctly) view sensor in the eyepiece that detects where your eye is focusing and focuses on those points even in multiple depths of field. I am loving it so far.

Look at the Canon 60D if you're looking for something a little heftier than the Rebel (T2i, T3i) line. 18mp, 1080p HD video, 6 fps. The flippy screen LCD is a feature that will soon be on all cameras. Once you use it, you won't know how you got along without it, especially if you shoot video with it.

Sony makes nice cameras, just not a lot of glass for them, plus they're kinda bit players in the DSLR market - not a lot of market share. Like you said, go to a camera store and see how they feel in your hand. I was leaning toward the Nikon D7000, but after holding it for a few minutes in the store, my hand got cramped. The Canon Rebel line felt plastic-y and lightweight. The Canon 7D and 60D felt perfect. I wanted the 7D but I just couldn't justify the extra $600.00 for the 7D over the 60D.

Good Luck

You're comparing apple and volkswagens. The 60D is a $1200-1400 (depending on the lens you get with it)camera and the Sony is a $700 camera. The sony is 16.2 mp and shoots 1080/60i Full HD video at 29 fps. As far as the glass there are over 30 lenses for them now I believe, now granted you probably aren't going to find many used lenses out there but that was not an issue to me.

Thanks for the input guys. I never thought about a Sony, even though that's our video camera and old point and shoot. Got a month or two to research so just getting started. If you think about something that you like or dislike in realworld use I would realy apreciate the input.

Budget will be under 1k for camera w/at least one lense. Have plans for a macro to get sweet closeups in the tank and my wife wants to be able to take pics that are fuzzy around the edges. Any input on these accessories would help also.

Thanks again

Gabe

IMHO its not the camera, its the user..............and then a couple things start making a huge difference from there. Mostly Full Frame vs Crop sensor http://www.digital-photography-school.com/full-frame-sensor-vs-crop-sensor-which-is-right-for-you

I couldnt explain it any better but I can tell a full frame shot from a crop sensor shot almost instantly. With the advancement in Photoshop type programs it doesnt really matter that much these days but theres a reason full frame cameras are in the 2K+ range. The whole Rebel Ti to 70D thing is covered well here http://www.lightandmatter.org/2010/equipment-reviews/canon-60d-vs-7d-vs-rebel-t2i-best-choice/

IMHO its all about the lens and I really like Tamron lenses, They are cheap for what you get, I have used many a Canon full frame body with a $400 Tamron lens and produced eye blistering photos compared to a 2K lens, If you want to save money and produce some crazy stuff Get a Ti. Not sure if you saw Mikes tank I shot in a few seconds with a 2 year old Canon Rebel Ti but the RAW image is 40' wide and pristine as can be.

95386d88.jpg

My Favorite camera has some smoking hot contrast but its a little big, and you have to bring along a Darkroom with you, 1901 was a good year!

IMG_1297.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb0Aub9EGV0

• 2 weeks later...

you need to go to pro photo supply and use different ones.

personally I really dislike how canon feels in my hand and its menus and non-uer friendly ness. to me it nikon is an apple computer and canon is a pc. but canon takes absolutely stellar photographs!!! so do nikons, this is the age old ford vs. chevy debate, there is no right answer. and actully a super heated debate with people, its like politics, lol.

i have shot with sony, nikon, pentex, canon, phase one, hassy's and others.

and nikon does and always feels best on my hand and is so intuiative and there button lay outs make so much sense, over any other brand.

take the same photo with similar cameras from each company and similar glass and you'll never know what camera shot it.

the big difference between canon and nikon are as follows.

nikon has much better zoom glass and rules in high iso arena. alot of sport shooters are nikon shooters

canon has better prime glass and currently rules in the video department. alot of canon are portrait wedding shooters.

(this is changing though, when i started in the wedding industry, it was all canons, now its split between canons and nikons...again both are great cameras)

so those will be the biggest factors i think for people.

something to keep in mind, glass is WAY more important then the body!!! medicore glass on the top body will produce ok photographs. top glass on a medicore body wil produce good photographs. top glass on top body will produce top photos, with an exception of the photographer. like someone else said, the photog makes the real difference.

its like they say race car driving is 70% driver 30% car, same with photography.

megapixels are only for selling to unknowing consumers that think more is better. its not, the sensor is what matters. the bigger the sensor the more info the camera can into the image and thus the better the quality. full frame will always be better then crop sensors. think of it this way, sensors have cells, these cells collect the info. these cells fill up with the info and when they are full they just dump it. full frame have more cells and bigger ones over a crop. its like this, it would be like catching water with buckets (full frame) vs. shot glasses (crop). with that said though, most photographers will never see a difference in the two for what they shoot. also full frame will achieve that super shallow depth of field people love.

again, the top manufatures produce great cameras and will produce great photographs and you will never really be able to tell the difference in the images, what will matter is what you to do with it and how it feels in your hand.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

i would also not buy a kit set, i would buy the body seperately and then a lens. the package deals are not worth it. kit lenses are not great at all. id buy a prime 50mm 1.4 from whatever company body you buy and go from there. your zoom will be your feet ;-). unless you are shooting lots of kids sporting events from the sidelines and are limited in your movement. prime lenses will 98% of the time give you a better quality photograph.

PLEASE READ THIS AS WELL, IF YOU SEE A CAMERA DEAL THAT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT IS!!!!!!!!! buy from places like bh photo, pro photo supply, adorama, etc. not random places on the net.

also, if budget allows, buy the manufacturers glass i.e. canon glass if you get canon, nikkor if you get nikon, sony if you buy sony and so on and so forth. however, sigma does make good lenses for less money in some cases. like a lens you might not use as much (fish eye, tilt shift )

Looking to buy a new camera with tax return. I would like a dslr, and I have my wife on board with the larger size cameras.

Our biggest question is performance taking pics of kids inside the house. The point and shoots just don't seem to be able to catch clear pics inside. If the kids are doing something cute (which only last for a moment)DOH! she doesn't want to worry about adjusting anything to take a pic.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance, Gabe

a good flash and a camera that does well with high iso will be better for indoors. nikon rules in high iso arena.

the reason point and shoots suck inside because they are limited in their aperature (opening of the lens, the smaller the number of the aperature the bigger the opening and the more light thay can come in, which wil allow a cleaner photograph because you can shoot at lower iso and a faster shutter speed and still have a good exposure). they are also limited in their sensor size, which factors into quality of photograph and how its handles noise at higher iso's.

it gets way more comolicated from there and i could write a novel on this stuff, lol.

Skulls has some very good points, but a few made me say "what!!"

Most sports shooters use Nikon? Say what? All those big white lenses you see on the sidelines of NFL game are Canon L lenses. Judging by what you see at most pro sporting events, I'd say most pro sports shooters use a Canon 1D along with Canon L lenses. If your shooting sports - even kids soccer games - while maybe a little beyond your price range, a Canon 7D is probably your best bet.

A Nikon is a Mac and a Canon is a PC? Say what? I've been a Mac guy almost as long as they've been selling Macs and I couldn't disagree more. Although, this area is very subjective, IMO Canons have an easy to use user interface and a clear menu structure. Not saying Nikon's are crap, and difficult to use, it's just that Canons seem to have more flexibility in how menus and buttons are customized (can you say "back button focusing?).

Nikons have better zoom glass? Say what? Again all the L zoom lenses out there would testify otherwise. For many photogs, Canon and Nikon users alike, the Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS Mk II lens is probably the most desired zoom lens available.

I will say that the Nikon D7000 probably rules in the video department right now - even over the 60D - which is it's main competitor. When shooting video, the autofocusing capabilities of the 7000D is highly rated.

I would also say stay away from the kits - IF you're buying Nikon. Some of the Canon Rebel series as well as the 60D and 7D have some pretty good glass bundled with them. In fact, the 18-135 is a very good walking around lens and is commonly bundled with Canon bodies. Other than a few rare exceptions, Canon really doesn't sell "kit" lenses. They often bundle glass that you can buy off the shelf with their bodies. A "kit" lens is commonly referred to as a lens that isn't normally available without buying the body in the "kit".

Don't be afraid of looking at Sigma or Tamron lenses. Sigma makes some VERY good glass. I have the Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro lens and it is a very nice, sharp lens.

As I said in my first post, go to the store and hold them in your hand. Really, that is the most important thing. Personally speaking, after about about 5 minutes, the Nikons gave my hand cramps. Canon's felt much more comfortable in my hand and seemed to have a better feel in the grip and be balanced better. After all, it doesn't matter how good the camera is, and how good of a picture it takes if you hate holding it for any amount of time.

For right around $1000.00 - $1300.00 you can get either a Canon 60D or a Nikon D7000 with a nice lens. In the $700 - $900 range you're looking at a Canon Rebel series or a Nikon D3000 at Costco.

Good Luck.

Skulls has some very good points, but a few made me say "what!!"

Most sports shooters use Nikon? Say what? All those big white lenses you see on the sidelines of NFL game are Canon L lenses. Judging by what you see at most pro sporting events, I'd say most pro sports shooters use a Canon 1D along with Canon L lenses. If your shooting sports - even kids soccer games - while maybe a little beyond your price range, a Canon 7D is probably your best bet.

A Nikon is a Mac and a Canon is a PC? Say what? I've been a Mac guy almost as long as they've been selling Macs and I couldn't disagree more. Although, this area is very subjective, IMO Canons have an easy to use user interface and a clear menu structure. Not saying Nikon's are crap, and difficult to use, it's just that Canons seem to have more flexibility in how menus and buttons are customized (can you say "back button focusing?).

Nikons have better zoom glass? Say what? Again all the L zoom lenses out there would testify otherwise. For many photogs, Canon and Nikon users alike, the Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS Mk II lens is probably the most desired zoom lens available.

I will say that the Nikon D7000 probably rules in the video department right now - even over the 60D - which is it's main competitor. When shooting video, the autofocusing capabilities of the 7000D is highly rated.

I would also say stay away from the kits - IF you're buying Nikon. Some of the Canon Rebel series as well as the 60D and 7D have some pretty good glass bundled with them. In fact, the 18-135 is a very good walking around lens and is commonly bundled with Canon bodies. Other than a few rare exceptions, Canon really doesn't sell "kit" lenses. They often bundle glass that you can buy off the shelf with their bodies. A "kit" lens is commonly referred to as a lens that isn't normally available without buying the body in the "kit".

Don't be afraid of looking at Sigma or Tamron lenses. Sigma makes some VERY good glass. I have the Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro lens and it is a very nice, sharp lens.

As I said in my first post, go to the store and hold them in your hand. Really, that is the most important thing. Personally speaking, after about about 5 minutes, the Nikons gave my hand cramps. Canon's felt much more comfortable in my hand and seemed to have a better feel in the grip and be balanced better. After all, it doesn't matter how good the camera is, and how good of a picture it takes if you hate holding it for any amount of time.

For right around $1000.00 - $1300.00 you can get either a Canon 60D or a Nikon D7000 with a nice lens. In the $700 - $900 range you're looking at a Canon Rebel series or a Nikon D3000 at Costco.

Good Luck.

canon lenses stand out more because they are white, like a red car gets pulled over more, lol. id be willing wager money that if you compared how many shoot nikon and many shot canon across all sports, it would be nikon. yes i will stand by that nikon has better zoom lenses across the board over canon, all reviews being taken into account. one lens does not define a range of lenses.

have you shot nikon and really messed around with them? to do anything with canon requires digging through menus and menus, what about the back focusing button?

i also really dislike canons wheel selector focus thing they have.

as to the OP, as you can see we have conflicting thoughts here, canon feels terrible in my hand and honestly you couldnt pay me to shoot with a canon. and its opposite for steelhead.

this does not help my case, lmao

565236859_XGjDx-X2.jpg

(although, i think there is more then meets the eye to this image, because im pretty sure nikon would not let this fly and we all know the mounts for canon glass dont line up to nikon and focusing wont work either, but its hilarious non the less)

guys in yellow vest are nikon shooters but look at all the white lenses. :-)

again, its really all preference and really when you get into top bodies and top glass, it realy comes down to splitting hairs. :-)

also the companies are consitently frog jumpimg each other. nikon comes out with a new body or lens that beats the canon equal and then canon does the same thing, so on and so forth.

i will say this about canon, im super jealous of your 50 1.2 & 85 1.2 glass ;-)

its funny steelhead, you metioned NFL and canon lenses after doing a bit of reading, canon struck a deal with the NFL that requires all shooters to wear canon gear (does not mean shoot with it though) it has caused a major up roar apparently, but i do wonder if that has something to do with all the white lenses on.the feild at the games.

which is leads me.to believe that is what happened in the above photo, they are canon shooters but nikon sponsored the event (as you can see from the banner) and required they wear nikom vests.

also majority of those lenses are primes and not zooms and that goes back to my point about canon having better fixed focal length lenses ;-)

also after reading, i may have lost my wager on nikon being used more for shooting sports, and it seems due to tha fact that canon had a better AF system in dslrs over nikon early in the game and marketed to pro photogs that they stole market share right there and as people who have been shooting for some time know, its expensive and once you have your glass (which good glass will last you a very long time!!!) its a major thing to change sides, so a lot of people have stuck with canon because of the money they already have vested in it. but i will still stand by that nikon has a better zoom line across the board then canon.

Remember the OP said budget camera, if I recall around 1k?, If it were me I would buy a used full frame for 1/3 the price and get a Tamron lens or 2 and take some smoking hot pics. The used Camera market is FULL of 5k-10k equipment for 1k-2k

Don't be afraid of Megapixels #s unless you plan on printing out large posters and even then the 12 Megapixels can handle this, infact, photoshop CS5 can do anything you want with anything you got, on a Mac that is..........from my limited experiences

Thanks for the input guys. I have been learning a lot about cameras the last couple weeks. Still not decided yet. Primary candidates t3i, d5100, slta-35. I do want to hold, and possibly shoot with them all before making my final desision. Biggest problem is in Medford, Sears is the only place that carries all three (the only place with the Sony). Not sure if they will disconnect the bulbus security shackle so I can actualy hold the camera though. My goal is to get a body, 50mm prime, a "hiking" lens (possibly the kit lens), and a hot shoe flash if neccisary to help with indoor pics.

Thanks for the input guys. I have been learning a lot about cameras the last couple weeks. Still not decided yet. Primary candidates t3i' date=' d5100, slta-35. I do want to hold, and possibly shoot with them all before making my final desision. Biggest problem is in Medford, Sears is the only place that carries all three (the only place with the Sony). Not sure if they will disconnect the bulbus security shackle so I can actualy hold the camera though. My goal is to get a body, 50mm prime, a "hiking" lens (possibly the kit lens), and a hot shoe flash if neccisary to help with indoor pics.[/quote']

Try here:

http://totalcamera.net/

They are on Center Dr. in Medford. They will have everything you're looking for. Skulls is right, it's really splitting hairs and a matter of personal preference. I used to shoot Nikon (Nikkormat actually) at rock concerts back in the 70's and 80's and got some excellent low light, hand held shots. Both brands make quality stuff. (It's not like Macs and PC's, where Macs really are better than PC's :)). You really do need to hold both in your hand and see how they feel.

BTW Skulls, LMAO over that pic.

About a year ago I was watching Craigs list for a epson R2880 printer to run off some panaramas and found one down in eugene for $300, I went down there and it was a widow whos photog husband had passed and she had around 100k in Camera equipment she was selling for 1/3 cost. It was ALL pristine , still in bags, foam, boxes, the guy would shoot with gloves on. I dumped about $1500.00 and got about 4k worth of stuff. These deals are out there, I would seriously search them out. There are people that dump 10k ever 2 years for the latest greatest and when the mega pixels go up, the last megapixels dump down. I have a 5 year old Olympus 8 megapixel that can hang with most of my Canons