Red algae ID

CrazyInside

This stuff came in on a frag and now it's starting to slowing spread. Tried to get a pic of it, just wondering what it is and how do i get rid of it!

I don't like any type of algae in the main tank and whenever i find some i remove it or get something that eats it.. but I can't seem to pull this stuff off.

It's starting to make my orange ric mad tooo :(

_MG_0807.jpg

_MG_0809.jpg

It looks like your tank is quite free of alge or I would recomend a yellow tang, they are the only ones who will eat red alge. You could remove the plug it is on and cut it smaller so that the ric's foot barly has any of the plug left under it, then remount, or I have even used sandpaper and sanded the plugs to remove unwanted alge ( still need to remove the plug from tank to do it )

I had that stuff too, it went crazy in my 75. +1 on the tang, it does not have to be yellow though. I have a gold rim tang that ate this stuff off of a clam I am babysitting, I actually saw the stuff on the clam and thought "OH NO NOT THIS STUFF AGAIN"

The tang is the only thing I know that will eat it, and the only way to get rid of it-No clean up crew vert will eat it (at least to a point to control it) get rid of it, it grows and can be evasive. You wont be able to pull it off as you found out

Borrow a tang if you have to

It looks to me as red turf algae. Red turf algae is a reef crest variety. It thrives in very clean water like sps does. My Red Sea Tang would not touch it. It is very tenacious and resists being pulled off.

How are your parameters? It if is very good it is likely red turf algae, methinks.

Ah how sweet we are blessed with having Red turf since our params are very good and our water is clean and light is bright (clap)Ah the pay off

But what I really wanted to add was I dont think any tang will do I would suggest one from the bristle tooth family-Great grazers!!!

Yes my watee is very clean, I can't stand any algae or brow/red haze stuff in my tank.

would I be able to put a yellow tang in my tank for awhile to clear it up? It's only a 40B. Once that stuff is out I would take it back out .

I'm not so sure if the yellow would work out (eat it)-I'd lean more towards a yellow eye kole or any from the bristle tooth family.

Google bristle tooth tangs for a list

Archived