Mitchell's 180 Reef Build

Mitchell

After four years I am finally setting up my 180 gallon Truvu. Step one is removing the scratches that the previous owner's kid had put into the tank with a mag-float.

I bought a 6" polisher along with a bottle of Novus 2 and 3 and after 2 hours of polishing here are the results, I was pretty impressed. There is one scratch that didn't come out completely, so I will try buffing it out with some automotive sandpaper later on this week.

Before:

photobucket-2768-1325712469814.jpg

After:

photobucket-4045-1325712564125.jpg

I drew up a couple diagrams on possible plumbing options. I'd like opinions on how to make them better and what to change. The first one is using the sump and holes I already have and the second one is using new holes and a new 55 gallon tank for a sump.

photobucket-1478-1326338638741.jpg

photobucket-1078-1326338692659.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I think you would be much happier with the second drawing and an overflow box, much better surface skimming. I would move the check valve down to just above the ball valve, have you looked at Loc Line, you can make some nice return nozzles

You might want to skip the check valves. Just drill a 1/8" hole in the return pipe about a 1/2" below the water surface for the siphon break.

I would GO withe the check valves, did the 1/8" holes, they plugged with algae and just about overflowed my sump once, if I hadn't been standing right there watching the water level in the sump during a water change I would have been screwed! When I plumb my new sump in with my frag tank I will be using a check valve, Bulk reef supply has some nice ones at a nice price too.

BTW, I would also go with your second drawing! You will be most happy with it and have better flow in your tank.

Beth

You might want to skip the check valves. Just drill a 1/8" hole in the return pipe about a 1/2" below the water surface for the siphon break.

I would GO withe the check valves, did the 1/8" holes, they plugged with algae and just about overflowed my sump once, if I hadn't been standing right there watching the water level in the sump during a water change I would have been screwed! When I plumb my new sump in with my frag tank I will be using a check valve, Bulk reef supply has some nice ones at a nice price too.

BTW, I would also go with your second drawing! You will be most happy with it and have better flow in your tank.

Beth

Today I moved the 250 lbs stand frame up the stairs, which sucked haha. I now have to figure out how I am going to skin it and help deaden the sound. If you guys have any tips let me know! Here is a picture of the frame:

photobucket-3918-1326853265883.jpg

I also picked up the lighting and protein skimmer for the tank this week. I'm still looking for a return pump and large powerheads, so if you have any for sale let me know.

Here is the protein skimmer next to a 5 gallon jug:

photobucket-3250-1326853390978.jpg

And here are the lights:

photobucket-3271-1326853642903.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk