Alkalinity

Kimberlee

I've been having problems keeping my KH up lately. I've tested it along w/ the Mag and the Cal, constantly. Both the other #s come out just fine. Mag holds at 1400, and the Cal a little high at 480. I tested my make up water for the KH and it tested 9. I've read up a little and I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to need to start dosing for KH regularly. I have been dosing, but just to bring the # back up. It is only up for a day, before it falls right back down to 7. Could some 1 confirm my thought that the KH is being used up that fast and maybe give me a tip or 2 about dosing. I've managed to control my #s up to this point w/ good size WC. I think those days are over.

Yeah sounds about right. I have to dose up to two cups a day of the homeade 2part of each calcium and alk in my 180. Use baked baking soda or regular baking soda depending on ph. I use a lot of regular because if i used all 2 cups of baked baking soda it woulf skyrocket my ph. I usually do 3/4 regular to one 1/4 baked to keep ph somewhat more stable. Start small and test. Then repeat. You will get your dose down fairly quickly

Not too big' date=' it is a mixed reef. I'd say sps makes up 1/5 of the population. LPS on the other hand is most of the tank[/quote']

Anything that has a skeleton. Also coraline algae. Clams. Inverts (snails). Anything that grows basically uses calcium/alk (carbonate). Magnesium is ised tremendously in photosythesis (xoothanthellae)

Okay I know 100ml of the 2 part backing soda mix will raise the KH 1 point, so I'm going to start my dosing at 50ml. The tank left to it's self seems to lose 1/2 point a day. I'm hoping this done daily will keep up w/ whats being used. If not I can always up the dose. Thx guys.

Just a quick update. I've found my dose I think. 50ml of the baking soda mix has been dosed every day and I've tested as well. Seems to be holing steady at 9, which is where I decided to keep it. My make up water tests at 9 so I figure it keeps the # from jumping around to just hold the KH there. Corals look a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived