AquaClear 70 Refugium

Islandoftiki

Ok, the 10 gallon build is starting. The tank will be 3-5 weeks before it gets here, so I'm starting to modify an AC70 to be a HOB refugium. I'll be keeping a bag of Chemi-pure in it and a ball of chaeto.

Has anyone modded an AC70 before? I've seen several variations on the theme online, some look better than others. I'm curious if anyone has any input in this regard. I'm planning to also have lighting on the chaeto 24/7, probably with LED's of some sort. Maybe a JBJ Nano-Glo.

Cheers!

John

I've done it for my 3 gallon pico I had setup for a while, it's pretty easy and works well. Only thing you have to watch is keeping your chaeto trimmed down in it, I let it grow to thick once and it wasn't letting the water pass through it fast enough back into the tank so it was overflowing off the back of the ac70 lol. Other than that it works awesome. And the jbj picotope light works great for them, clips onto the back off it and bends over it.

Haha, I'll keep that in mind. I regularly trim down the chaeto in my 2 gallon tank, so I'm accustomed to that little bit of weekly maintenance.

I just picked up a good used JBJ NanoGlo at Rose City Aquarium for 20 bucks! I'll either use it on this or my 2 gallon.

I'm just trying to figure out how I want to baffle the AC70 so things like overflows don't happen if said chaeto overgrowth should happen.

Question: Did you put a smaller impeller from an AC50 in yours? It looks like a lot of people are doing that to reduce flow.

I ordered a Vortech MP10 today, too. This tank is gonna be amazing.

I just put a piece of gutter guard in there so act as a fence and keep the cheato in the fuge. I didn't have it installed in this pic, nor did i have any cheato in there (laugh) but pics always are good when you are building stuff so here is mine :D

PA060015.jpg

I'd like people's thoughts on this...

I have a JBJ NanoGlo refugium LED light to use in conjunction with the AC70. The plastic of the AC70 is slightly smokey in color. Do you think this would affect chaeto growth if I attach it to the side? The other option would be to drill 4 holes on the top of the AC70's top cover that match the placement of the LEDs in the NanoGlo fixture.

Yesterday, I found this: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear-70-Media-Basket-AC70MR.htm?categoryId=-1

This is EXACTLY what I wanted and I won't have to dink around with building a custom fuge, which I won't have time for before the tank goes live.

I ordered it today and I'll let everyone know how it works out. I also got a submersible light to put in there. This should give me the ultra clean look I'm going for.

Yeah, I'm aware that I could build something for a couple bucks, but to me, this is much cleaner and more professional looking than anything I could build at the moment. Being in the middle of moving into my fiance's place leaves me with no time for projects over the next month, and I'm hoping to have the tank up and cycling before that. Plus, that thing is all laser cut and stuff. It's cut with friggin' lasers! On top of that, I'm seriously OCD about how things look, even things that are under the hood that nobody will usually see. It actually cost more than the AC70 did (it was on sale).

Anyhow, I'll post pictures and give it a review when I get it. I'm hoping to have the tank by the end of the month.

Archived