Birdsnest Issue

Blue Z Reef

Hi guys,

I bought the white birdsnest with light green pollyps from OIAB about 3 weeks ago. I noticed this week that some of the branch at the end has started turning brown and no pollyp extension. Anyone know what this could be? My only guess is I damaged it or something when I moved it and glued it down, but it looks bad in 2 different spots. Anyone have this issue? Sorry for the crappy iphone pic (laugh)

birdsnest.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi guys,

I bought the white birdsnest with light green pollyps from OIAB about 3 weeks ago. I noticed this week that some of the branch at the end has started turning brown and no pollyp extension. Anyone know what this could be? My only guess is I damaged it or something when I moved it and glued it down, but it looks bad in 2 different spots. Anyone have this issue? Sorry for the crappy iphone pic (laugh)

birdsnest.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

it should come back.

but i noticed alot of there birdsnest were bleached out when they moved all there stuff into the smaller tanks and there tips got a little burnt

Thanks for the response guys, I hope it pulls through ok. It's in a decent flow area (under my wavemaker, so not direct flow, but flow across it is good). Also have 2 seaswirls going so it gets its fair share i'm sure.

I saw that some of their corals were getting bleached out a bit in the new tanks when I was in there yesterday. I bought a pink birdsnest at the same time as this white one and it looks fine, so hopefully it bounces back. I was worried because Kas said that "once it goes brown it won't come back," but I guess i'll hold off on fragging off the brown for a while and see how it does.

Color-wise, it is the same as the day I bought it. It's white base with light greenish polyps. It is under 175w halides about 1/4 up from the bottom. I don't think its getting bleached out by my lights being too strong. Is there any products to replenish zooxanthellae? I dose 2 part calcium/alk, magnesium, and strontium/molly right now.

Well, seems to be the consensus that its bleached out lol. We'll see in the next few months what color it winds up being. I'm running 2x 175w MH 20k so it should be getting plenty of blue spectrum and light in general. I'll have to chop off that algae too, thanks for the heads up!

Archived