Jump to content

What happened to these two?


J-Dog
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a couple corals that have been with me for quite a while, never had problems with them, and they've always looked great. One is a green birdsnest colony and the other is a hammer. I've had them for over a year, but now something weird is happening. This morning my hammer looked like it had a small section that had melted away. Never seen anything like it and thought maybe u guys might know what happened. As for the birdsnest, it looks like random sections of the colony are dying or just bleaching out. This was my first frag, which has grown into a huge colony, with great color and PE. At first I though one of my hermits was eating the polyps, since I would see it camped out on top of it every other night. Haven't seem the hermit on it for a while now, but the colony isn't looking any better. Just wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge on what happened, thanks......

 

Here is the birdsnest

IMG_8838.jpg

 

and the hammer

IMG_8837.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any other corals near that can put out sweeper tentacles? Some corals like galaxie for example have sweepers up to 6" or longer. My first guess is they are getting stung.

 

Those two corals have been in the same spots for months, with nothing else close to them that would sting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you checked your parameters yet? I know for me when my Alk was off the BN always showed first signs of stress.

 

I recently purchased a doser, so all parameters are stable....alk 9-10, cal 430-450, mag 1500. It's just weird since the BN has been my easiest and fastest growing piece. I'd hate to lose it, but I can't figure out what happened. I don't know if it will recover, but I also don't want it to happen again, so it would be nice to figure this thing out (nutty)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you using BRS two part? Is the doser on a timer that doses through out the day? Here is a great article to read, look to the right of the firs table and you will see Natural SW levels. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

 

I try to mimic these as close as possible. It see that most people try to go on the high side. Not sure why, More is better theory. Getting your Parameters dialed in are the hardest part. Once their good you can test less and less or when the corals tell you something is not right.

 

A good set of test kits are a must. We spend hundreds on corals but are to cheap to throw down a few bucks on a good test kit.

 

Just some idea's Hope it helped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was there any swing when you made the switch to the doser and getting it dialed in-I know when I switched from my doser to back to my Ca Rx it took a few days to dial it in, closer to 5 days.

 

Not sure how close that ric is but it'll kill any part of that BN it touches-probably just the photo but it looks close

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had the same thing happen when I play around with dosing stuff. I would say you changed something too fast and maybe by the time you check it it had returned or changed to something a little less noticeable.

 

I did a couple big water changes and things are looking better now. Thats what I get for playing around with stuff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...