burglary

Burningbaal

I highly recommend deadbolts and steel for all security things at your house. got a door kicked in last friday (during the daytime) while we were at work. no fish stuff was taken, but plenty of other things...

the door they kicked in was a definite weak spot, no deadbolt and the handle latch was just two screws a few inches long, nothing too sturdy.

My office was broken into at work and they stole some things. Definitely is not a good feeling and having to fill out the paperwork for the police and the insurance company is such a pain. I'm hoping in the next week or so the insurance company will be able to reimburse me for all that I lost.

Good luck with everything!

ya, we need to get a total for the costs and decide if we're reporting, I'm pretty sure it'll be significantly over our deductible though (2x or 3x). it's a pain for sure, they took a bunch of sentimental things (esp my wife's) and our fire safe that's got our SS cards, passports car title, marriage license, all that stuff in it...royal pain

ya' date=' we need to get a total for the costs and decide if we're reporting, I'm pretty sure it'll be significantly over our deductible though (2x or 3x). it's a pain for sure, they took a bunch of sentimental things (esp my wife's) and our fire safe that's got our SS cards, passports car title, marriage license, all that stuff in it...royal pain[/quote']

I hear ya. All the stuff they took from me were sentimental. Everything but my digital camera was a gift from someone. It's a pain and the worst part is how miserable it makes YOU feel. You should report it to at least bringing some closure to the matter.

Sorry to hear, that sucks. This happened tommy brother while they were on the East Coast for three weeks. He thinks it was the neighbor? Anyway insurance agent wrote him a $12,000 check after it was all settled. Hope it all works out for ya.

there is already a PD report, they're working on it. we're checking craiglist and pawn shops. I def don't have a $12,000 check in my future, but some restitution would be nice. there was some evidence that might trace to the perp if the guy's in the system...that's what I'm hoping for! three year statute and max sentence of 20 yrs...ouch if they catch him!

they wont even look for them...when I was in corvallis it happened to me...the guy left blood and fingerprints everywhere. Police didn't care, they just point you to insurance. MAYBE if you find your stuff in a pawn shop and can go that route, but that is just because it is a different crime and they can make it formal.

it sucks but there is no money for law enforcement in this regard, they wont spend a dime if it is not a violent crime

they wont even look for them...when I was in corvallis it happened to me...the guy left blood and fingerprints everywhere. Police didn't care, they just point you to insurance. MAYBE if you find your stuff in a pawn shop and can go that route, but that is just because it is a different crime and they can make it formal.

it sucks but there is no money for law enforcement in this regard, they wont spend a dime if it is not a violent crime

as encouraging as you are, they tried to lift prints at the house, couldn't get any, but they did get potential DNA evidence that a detective said they're sending for analysis. they didn't just point me to insurance.

Also, I personally know the responding officer, so that may help.

that has to help...college kids get no love in corvallis. Who is paying for the DNA analysis, it isnt cheap? Most people dont even write serial numbers down so once its gone, its gone. Without seeing them do it they can say it is theirs..

I know you want justice, I just wouldn't have too much faith in CPD to do it

also' date=' I just read up on it, attempting to sell the stolen goods is the same category as forced entry (1st deg burg), class A felony, so it doesn't look like finding them at a pawn shop is any different legally, except it might be easier tot race the guy.[/quote']

It also adds another charge that they can pursue...with evidence and such

we do have serial numbers for most of the elecs they took. DNA isn't that expensive actually. you can get each allele done for about $10 (at least for a lab like the one I work at) after about an hour of prep work. it costs a lot for initial purchases, but the per allele price is pretty low.

more than justice, I want my wife's wedding jewelry back, or the nativity set my great-grandmother hand-made...but that's not gonna happen.

don't forget to check with any of the used, consignment and antique stores. I have people come in my store all the time looking to sell stuff and some times you get the feeling it's stolen and all I can do is say I'm not interested. Iknow a couple of cops that have closed garage sales cause they're selling stolen stuff. sorry to hear about it hope you get some of the sentimental things back

I'm so sorry this happened. It happened to us about 5 years ago and until you've been that violated it's hard to understand just how it feels. Don't hold your breath for restitution - we're getting a whopping $5 a month of the $24,500 ordered.

We now keep everything important in a safety deposit box at the bank and no longer keep cash in the house.

I'm so sorry about your personal items - sure hope you can get some of them back.

i have been stolen from several times.each time the things that were taken i felt more and more insecure and violated.i am now more social with my neighbors as they can also be a help in warding off thieves .i have deadbolts on both my front and back door.a security camera can also be a deturant even if it is not on both doors. especialy if there is a sticker of some sort stating that a security system or camera is in operation.i know this doesnt bring back your possesions but there is only so much you can do when you are not at home.i have had some of my kids things stolen so i know there are some people with no human values out there,real scum.i feel for you man and i hope you get the culprit.

ya, I'm thinking about mounting a webcam thing in the house that uploads images to internet location. also rocking the deadbolts and probably going to reinforce the deadbolts soon...someone at work recommended the fake sticker thing (Protected by ADT, or something)...not a bad idea at all.

ya' date=' I'm thinking about mounting a webcam thing in the house that uploads images to internet location. also rocking the deadbolts and probably going to reinforce the deadbolts soon...someone at work recommended the fake sticker thing (Protected by ADT, or something)...not a bad idea at all.[/quote']

I have always had some type of an alarm system in my homes. My current house has motion detectors as well but I usually have to shut them off due to all of the animals in the house..LOL

I still have switches on all of the windows and doors but really they still have 60 seconds to grab what they want and walk out before the sirens go off. I have thought about adding extra sirens inside the house just to scare the hell out of the person trying to break in...

Archived