Tank Brace cracked

Raamiah

The outer frames on those tanks are made from a low grade ABS. This being the reason things never really bond to it, ABS is really difficult to get anything to bond. If you were to try to bond this with fiberglass there are two epoxies I know of that'll actually do the job and neither of which are available to the public as far as I know. You'll also need to abrade (sand) the area and then flame treat it with a torch (propane only) to get the brace ready.

It's a lot of work for an inexpensive tank and like others have said you have a good sump there for your next system. If you really want to go this route I can give you a little epoxy if your in the portland area.

As for people pulling their center braces or cutting them... Eh, I guess if you can sleep it night go for it but not in my house! It's a total roll of the dice, at some point the tank will fail because of it. Without getting into the engineering of it. They put that center brace and trim there for a reason and it does have a purpose!

The outer frames on those tanks are made from a low grade ABS. This being the reason things never really bond to it, ABS is really difficult to get anything to bond. If you were to try to bond this with fiberglass there are two epoxies I know of that'll actually do the job and neither of which are available to the public as far as I know. You'll also need to abrade (sand) the area and then flame treat it with a torch (propane only) to get the brace ready.

It's a lot of work for an inexpensive tank and like others have said you have a good sump there for your next system. If you really want to go this route I can give you a little epoxy if your in the portland area.

As for people pulling their center braces or cutting them... Eh, I guess if you can sleep it night go for it but not in my house! It's a total roll of the dice, at some point the tank will fail because of it. Without getting into the engineering of it. They put that center brace and trim there for a reason and it does have a purpose!

Yeah Ive retracted my views of the fiberglass brace " sticking" to the existing one at all and just make a new one that slips down for a re-assurance type of thing, I have tons of Fiberglass cloth so I could ship you more than enough to make a sweet brace ( the stuff is $6 at Napa or any automotive store/Lowes/Home depot.)

Better yet just give me the width of your tank EXACTLY and how deep your rim is and I could probably whip something up and mail it. I have tons of scrap

I didn't think that Petco did the 55 in the $1 sale but who knows. I saw a 55 on craigslist for free the other day due to having a crack in the glass. Maybe you could snag that one and just replace the top of your tank. Just a thought. Good luck on your search.

Does anyone know up to what size Petco goes for their $1/gallon sale? I would like to know so I can see if looking into that or if CL would be a better option of I go the route or replacing the whole tank.

Thanks.

Copied from the petco add on the last $1 per gallon email flyer I got. "Included in the sale are rectangular glass tanks in the following sizes: 10G' date=' 20L, 20H, 29G, 40B, and 55G."[/quote']

Thanks! Now all I gotta do is find out if the Olympia Walmart is having it after Christmas or when they are so I can look into it.

Archived