Tank Brace cracked

Raamiah

Hey all as I have been cleaning my tank to get it up and running come January I noticed there is a crack (hairline) on the center brace of the tank. It goes from the rim up and over the top. It is about 1" long on the top. I'm attaching photos for you to see.

My question is: should I be worried about something this small? If so, what kind of glue or other product should I use to fix this? Sorry about the flash in the one pic.

Thanks for your help.

6499979687_1b229e2a59.jpg

6499965077_844443e59c.jpg

I would address the issue. in theory, a well built tank probably doesn't need the brace, but why risk it? there's a good chance that weldon (with heavy clamping) would help (the active ingredient -- DCM-- basically monomerizes the plastic and lets it repolymerize, essentially re-casting it), but your best answer is going to be to replace it.

Unless someone else has had a specific experience

Yah i would drain water as far as you can' date=' reinforce with some acrylic if you can, and glue it with weldon.[/quote']

Uhhh...Didn't we have a discussion awhile back where you stated that the brace wasn't needed?

Anyway, Weldon only works on Acrylic. The braces used on these tanks are not made from acrylic, probably PET or something similar. It looks from the pics that the crack is splitting the brace in two from front to back, not across the brace. If this is the case, it's not so much of an issue as if the brace was broke across it. You still have the outward forces of the water on the sides of the tank in check. In other words, you now basically have two, thinner cross braces rather than one thick one. That being said, IMO this is still not a safe situation, at least not one I (or my wife) would be comfortable having long term in our living room. Unfortunately there is no glue for this type of plastic that is as good as the unbroken brace. At best, you will have a temporary fix to a problem that eventually will return.

As I see it you have a few options:

1) Use it as is and keep your fingers crossed

2) Patch it as well as possible using the appropriate glue and keep your fingers crossed

3) Make a patch out of acrylic and use stainless steel screws to attach it to the original brace. - This is the best (easiest) option if you want to save the tank.

4) Replace the whole top rim and brace

5) Scrap it as a display tank and use it for a sump (less water = less outward force = sleep at night)

Good Luck

Fiberglass cloth and resin, scratch up the area fairly deep. Not sure if the fiberglass resinwould stick or not but a couple short screws then fiberglass cloth would hold extremely strong. If you had deep grooves it doesn't matter if the fiberglass resin sticks to plastic or not, it sticks to itself and is strong enough.

EDIT, you mix the resin in plastic so it probably won't stick, a couple short screws as someone else mentioned through the first layer then put another layer over the top, you can sand it smooth and paint even

IME, DCM (the main ingredient of weldon) will melt just about any plastic you can find. it certainly works on polypropylene and polystyerene, I know that from lab work, and acrylic is poly(methyl methacrylate), so that's at least 3 kinds of plastic. I believe the brace is usually polystyrene. if you clamp it and put the weldon on there, you should see if any melting happens and if it doesn, you're in business.

That said. Steelhead's 3rd idea would be pretty solid.

Uhhh...Didn't we have a discussion awhile back where you stated that the brace wasn't needed?

Anyway, Weldon only works on Acrylic. The braces used on these tanks are not made from acrylic, probably PET or something similar. It looks from the pics that the crack is splitting the brace in two from front to back, not across the brace. If this is the case, it's not so much of an issue as if the brace was broke across it. You still have the outward forces of the water on the sides of the tank in check. In other words, you now basically have two, thinner cross braces rather than one thick one. That being said, IMO this is still not a safe situation, at least not one I (or my wife) would be comfortable having long term in our living room. Unfortunately there is no glue for this type of plastic that is as good as the unbroken brace. At best, you will have a temporary fix to a problem that eventually will return.

As I see it you have a few options:

1) Use it as is and keep your fingers crossed

2) Patch it as well as possible using the appropriate glue and keep your fingers crossed

3) Make a patch out of acrylic and use stainless steel screws to attach it to the original brace. - This is the best (easiest) option if you want to save the tank.

4) Replace the whole top rim and brace

5) Scrap it as a display tank and use it for a sump (less water = less outward force = sleep at night)

Good Luck

Yep. But it doesn't appear he is asking if the brace is needed, he's asking how to fix it.

So we are starting off our posts by taking shots at members now? You go big guy.

I agree with steelhead 100%

oh impur...you have the lowested tolerences for "shots taken at you" lol

Why didnt anyone ask what size tank? My 72 bow did that. I redid centerbrace with weldon and acrylic. Lowered water line, clamped like mad. Lasted a few years but recently looks to be failing again. I think due to lights making it more and more brittle.

Long story short is this work is probably for nothing. Been talking to aga and i have the stand its supposed to go on. Lifetime warranty. A few more calls and i should receive another. They will probably send you a free centerbrace also if you wanted. Just call and complain lol.

I had the same thing happen to my 55 freshwater about six months ago. I did try to fix it a few ways. Silicone and some kind of bonding agent, and it seemed to work for a while until one day I saw the glass was starting to bow out.. After all is said and done trying to fix the tank would probably cost just as much as replacing it. $100 for a new one is worth the peace of mind. Plus if you ever want to upgrade to a bigger setup you have a great start for a sump.

Just my two cents.

Like I said' date=' for about $10 make a brace out of fiberglass matt/or cloth so it slips over front and back if concerned. Paint it flat black and you would never know its there. Make it 1/32" too small slip it over front or back pull slightly and snap it over opposite side[/quote']

That actually isn't a bad idea. Brush a layer of resin on, lay a strip of fiberglass cloth on the resin overhanging the front and back, brush on another coat let it dry and voila` good as, or even better than, new. Although for all the stink and hassle, you might be better off waiting for the Petco $1.00/gallon sale or finding a used one on CL. They are pretty plentiful. I've got one for sale myself as a matter of fact.

Let us know what you decide to do.

That actually isn't a bad idea. Brush a layer of resin on, lay a strip of fiberglass cloth on the resin overhanging the front and back, brush on another coat let it dry and voila` good as, or even better than, new. Although for all the stink and hassle, you might be better off waiting for the Petco $1.00/gallon sale or finding a used one on CL. They are pretty plentiful. I've got one for sale myself as a matter of fact.

Yeah Fiberglass cloth is some strong stuff and conforms to everything, Im actually making some Nano stands and hoods for my LED lighting, Top offs and general hiding of stuff. Im not a fan of the DIY LED look so theres only one thing light enough, strong enough and able to be covered with anything and everything including automotive paint

Well I have been looking on CL in my area and the 55g (several) I have seen people want around $100 for the tank by itself. So I'm keeping an eye out for that and in the meantime if Petco does have their $1/gallon sale I'll do that most likely unless someone has a better deal. Problem is I live all the way in Shelton so it would have to be a really good deal! :).

Luckily I won't be setting up the tank until some time in January so I have time to decide.

Looking at (in no particular order):

1. New/used tank

2. replace frame

3. use weldon

4. fiberglass resin idea

Obviously new tank would be the best option but I don't want to put a LOT of money into it because if I did that I would almost consider upgrading my tank...LOL! Just don't tell my wife!

Well I have been looking on CL in my area and the 55g (several) I have seen people want around $100 for the tank by itself. So I'm keeping an eye out for that and in the meantime if Petco does have their $1/gallon sale I'll do that most likely unless someone has a better deal. Problem is I live all the way in Shelton so it would have to be a really good deal! :).

Luckily I won't be setting up the tank until some time in January so I have time to decide. Looking at:

1. New/used tank

2. replace frame

3. use weldon

4. fiberglass resin idea

Obviously new tank would be the best option but I don't want to put a LOT of money into it because if I did that I would almost consider upgrading my tank...LOL! Just don't tell my wife!

I didn't think that Petco did the 55 in the $1 sale but who knows. I saw a 55 on craigslist for free the other day due to having a crack in the glass. Maybe you could snag that one and just replace the top of your tank. Just a thought. Good luck on your search.

Archived