Snail explosion

ClayTheSavageFraser

I read in a book that they are stomatella snails. And not the kind that look like they have no shell. But they commented on how they look like baby turbos about half the size of a grain of rice.

I had them blow up in my tank a few years back. I noticed it when my sixline passed. They came out at night in the hundreds but you could barely see one with the lights on

I had an explosion a while back, I think most of them are now just calcium deposits on the back wall as they haven't really moved or grown for a month or so. But I do have a couple that I see move around and are bigger, maybe half the size of my little nass snails. kinda cool. My understanding is they'll multiply to fit the nutrient availability...probably why mine died back.

Found the book. Its julian sprungs invertebrates book, with yellow cover. Page 104. Shows snails about 2-5mm just like in impur's pic. Says they are harmless nocturnal herbivores.

So many times my clients think small things are babies of something they have. Asternias are baby chocolate chip stars and copepods are baby shrimp etc. Its usually much more likely in a reef tank that it is a different hitch hiking species rather than breeding things

Archived