New tank new questions....

Frank

So the stand for the new tank (300 cube) will be done Sunday looks like. So time to start asking question???

Having a steel stand made then later we will do the skinning later.

Those that have steel frames what did you use for wood under the foam?

Anything I need to know about a steel frame?

What did you use attach the skin to the frame?

And where did you get it?

I’m sure I will think of more questions…

I agree with Mike. I'm going to duplicate what my tank's previous owner did and glue flat round magnets to a 1/4 plywood skin. You can then just pull the whole side off the stand when you want to work in the sump and easily put it back.

My Buddy made a skin that was U shaped and could slide the whole thing off for maintenance, was kinda cool. It had doors to for regualr maintenance like skimmer changes etc.

Let me know if ya need any help man, I am right up the street.

I will need help moving the tank and the stand upstairs...

So on top of the stand I should do wood then the foam right? What size and kind of wood?

Foot print is 48x48x30

So on top of the stand I should do wood then the foam right? What size and kind of wood?

Foot print is 48x48x30

Since the stand is steel you could probably get by with 1/2" ply but I'd still do 3/4 not for any reason-Heck you could use MDF for that matter-IMO

Foot print is 48x48x30

You will need help with that tank Frank, up those narrow stairs then that turn to the left DOH!

i put 3/4 inch plywood on top. I built small gussets out of some plate steel and punched a hole into them so i could screw my skin down tight. Also if you plan on putting some lights under the stand i would weld some small brackets to hang/mount them with. I have some pics of what i did and hopefully i post a build thread here shortly when i finish setting it up. This was for 180 gallon btw. I also think i am going to build a canopy that mounts to the stand so nothing is supported on the tank.

Generally I use 1/2 inch plywood for the top of the stand. I just counter sink self drilling screws in to hold it in place. As far as the skin. Either make a U shape skin. Or hold the skin on with magnets(rare earth work the best). Like reefer scooter said some tabs for lights would be cool no need to weld them in(if you want them welded in just let me know) self drilling screws will hold your tabs to the steel just fine. If you need ideas of what screws to get I will look up the part number. I may have a few still lying around from previous builds. They have them at ace hardware. I used the stainless ones. If you need any other help just shout, and we can work out some details before you pick up the stand.

yea self tapping screws work as well. i was going for the no opening to the tube so there is minimal rust. I cut my tubing at 45's and welded everything shut. Curious on what you are planning to coat the stand with? I am thinking an epoxy paint cause i have it but there are many options out there.

When I put the srews in I coat them with a sealer to keep rust from happening. I generally use a paint designed for automotive frames called chassis black. It is and epoxy based paint in a spray can. You could also use POR15 and it would never rust. I dont use it alot cause it is hard to find and expensive. I am also working with a guy to start powder coating these stands.

Archived