1" foam too thick?

drock59

Need more info. Mating surfaces? Glass to what?... Plywood? Laminant? Does the tank have a plastic rim? what type of foam?

If the tank has plastic moulding to sit, no foam. If its just sitting on the glass, what is the glass sitting on? Then maybe use foam, but i would use like 1/4" max. If there is something in the way more than that you really need to rethink it

Ur putting foam on the bottom of the tank ( between tank and Stan) iam sorry in my opinion u should not even put anything in between them! If u do not a foam pad cause the distribution of the weight will be different and the foam will be pressed at different pressures!

I have foam under my acrylic 300g tank and my sump, it's a must because this way you are reducing stress points on the aclylic tank. I used 1" under my tank, and my trim covers all the foam so it does not look cheesy. If your tank is glass with a plastic rim then you don't need any foam at all.

I have foam under my acrylic 300g tank and my sump' date=' it's a must because this way you are reducing stress points on the aclylic tank. I used 1" under my tank, and my trim covers all the foam so it does not look cheesy. If your tank is glass with a plastic rim then you don't need any foam at all.[/quote']

^^^^^+1 that is 100% correct

When there is no water in it they go away right, well the silicone has come free from the glass in those spots, and without the presure of the water the tention of the still sealed silicone pulls it tight enouph to look like it is sealed. it looks like that cuz they are pockets without any way to get air in there as the silicone comes off the glass. What is really scary is the parts you cant see, like the ends of the glass ( the glass that buts up to the front pain) and the back thats against the wall, and the bottom. Thats why I say it would be best to just take it all apart and reseal, you prob don't halfto worrie about using the plastic trim when ya put it back together.

Have you thought of doing it yourself? It's not terribly difficult. I don't know an easy way to get the plastic rim off without destroying it, but the glass panels are easy enough to get appart. Just clean ALL, repeat ALL the old silicone off. The hardest part is putting it all back together. Some blue masking tape, patience and maybe a helping hand and your there. You can get the silicone; black or clear from Grainger I think around $10 a tube. (I forgot the exact part #'s. Maybe Impur can help there)

Good luck on whatever you choose to do.

Gabe