upgrade to 75...finally

Burningbaal

Got the built-ins up for the most part, need to put the 2x6 supports up under the left side (for the tank), and someday we'll put faces and doors on. Also had to get new bulkhead for the 90 cause it was 23" front to back the way the plumbing was glued on and my.shelf is only 22. should be about 21" once important done with the plumbing.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the new bullheads. And plumbing roughes in on the tank in the garage, and got the last (I think) coat of paint on the supports (goes under the 'counter' on the left of the built-ins). Hopefully tomorrow I can get the tank in it's home and start finalizing the plumbing, maybe even get it wet!?

It's in it's home with lights! I need to get the sump underneath and do the plumbing, then it can get some water!!!

0E5F9B60-orig.jpg

Question: the lights buzz pretty noticeably, is it just part of a warm-up cycle? It has old bulbs, is that why? it's an 8-bulb tek light

EDIT: I apparently caught the picture during a lottery commercial...great :/

got the plumbing about 5 minutes from done and realized I had forgot to put the collar on the union before I glued an elbow behind it. now I have 4 fittings to go re-buy, including the union, lame. probably will get those tomorrow evening and hopefully have the sump running by then. I want to keep the DT basically dry until the move because I want to put the sand in first, so I'll run the return so it just fills the c2c overflow box, never actually flowing into the DT. hopefully have that up within a few days and with some luck get the tank moved this weekend...might be optimistic

:D

got the plumbing about 5 minutes from done and realized I had forgot to put the collar on the union before I glued an elbow behind it. now I have 4 fittings to go re-buy, including the union, lame. probably will get those tomorrow evening and hopefully have the sump running by then. I want to keep the DT basically dry until the move because I want to put the sand in first, so I'll run the return so it just fills the c2c overflow box, never actually flowing into the DT. hopefully have that up within a few days and with some luck get the tank moved this weekend...might be optimistic

:D

• 4 weeks later...

got the sump situated, working on the light to get a second power cord on it for more timing options, prying with a screwdriver and it slipped...a trip to the ER for a cleaning and superglue and a partially numb/very tingly finger/thumb and the light will have to wait to get finished...also need to check that the overflow's bulkheads and drain plumbing are tight...then I'll get to fill it up!

hopfully my hand feels normal really soon so I can get going!

ok, the hand is mostly healed, and I got the light worked out. turns out there was actually a hole with a little plug set up just right to take a second cord, maybe the version I got was slightly cheaper for only having one cord? Anyways, I've got it so there's 4 actinics out the outsides on one cord (same ballast) and an aquablue special, two 5600K and a pink plus on the center 4 (8 bulb fixture). I think that'll be pretty good.

Working on tightening down all the drain plumbing with plumber's tape and such, then a final leak test!!!!

I've got a lot of family stuff this week, but I maybe be ready to make the move either this weekend or next week! I'll get a pic once the light's up and water's in it.

I'm getting excited!!!! (clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)

not a whole lot to update, but here:

hoping to finalize the plumbing this week, out of town for the next two weekends, so hopefully the move can happen the week of the 21st.

I'll know for sure tonight, but i think I lost my sea hare...might have starved the poor guy. I've got him floating in a bag with a yummy rock (that was in a different tank) in case he perks up, but I'm 90% sure he's already gone.

should be able to make the move pretty smoothly if I can wrap up the plumbing problem.

I'm very excited about my 8-bulb Tek light for the display and my two CFL's are growing chaeto and prolifera well in the sump (return pump is off right now), hoping to get some birdsnest, monticaps, hammers and other LPS frags in the next month or three...but it'll have to go slow as budget allows :(

• 2 weeks later...

the move is scheduled for this saturday and looking forward to it. I'll have to be careful about light acclimation for the poor guys...going from 64 watts of T8 to 432 watts of T5HO...definitely be keeping half the lights off for the first few weeks and keep everything low in the tank, maybe even under some rocks for shade...short light cycles, etc.

super excited, though!!!!!!

(clap)(rock2)(fingers)(clap)(rock2)(fingers)(clap)(rock2)(fingers)(clap)(rock2)(fingers)

!!!!It's happening!!!!

so here's four shots of it all cloudy. it took about 4 hours to get all the sand, rock and critters moved. I stirred up the sand a lot and mixed it into about 20 gallons of water, then poured 15g of water out (it was a bit nasty). most of what's left is just some sand-cloudiness. I kicked on the new lights for a few, but won't leave them on long (too much new wattage for the poor guys:D)

so here's the FTS...half full so far (making more water currently):

DSC_0109.jpg

two of the female clown:

DSC_0112.jpg

the second with some raspberry reds from mohaynow (about 9 months ago):

DSC_0111.jpg

and the frag rack...mostly excited about the new stag (killer deal from Garret), there's also a new purple-tip frogspawn back there that's new, hopefully we'll see it later :/

DSC_0110.jpg

we also got 15 yards of new bark dust blown in during all of this...kinda crazy!

FTS, skimmer is just hanging out right now, still have a little plumbing leak to attend to before I can get the return pump on.

DSC_0117.jpg

These were volunteers in a 10g hair algae nano someone offloaded on me last year, I thought the skeletons were completely dead when I saw the rock...apparently not:

DSC_0123.jpg

acan from kimberlee is getting cool rust-colored areas:

DSC_0126.jpg

new stag's color suffered in the old tank's lighting...once I get the new tank's lighting on full cycle, I'm hoping this bounces back:

DSC_0127.jpg

other things on the frag rack:

DSC_0128.jpg

the homies:

DSC_0129.jpg

nifty sarcophyton:

DSC_0130.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

still hoping for an ID on the yellow zoas...

just an update: still fighting some trickling past the bulkheads. layer two of silicone should be dry, plan to do another test tonight. with some luck, I can kick on the return pump today or tomorrow and get this bad boy running for real!

seriously, though...is there a way to change the title of a thread? this isn't a 75g build...