Is this normal?

Derbird

Hello everyone. Its time for my latest silly noobie question(whistle)

Every time I do a water change some of my soft corals react by pulling in and shrinking.

I have a frag of Devil's Hand Leather Coral (Lobophytum sp.) with two ends that reacts more than any other.

Shriveledleathers.jpg

They have grown to about two and a half inches but now are pulled in so tight I doubt they would be a quarter inch. (scary) I also have a mistery leather that is growing out of the rock that also pulls in just as bad. They have always recovered after a few days but nothing else has anywhere near as much trouble.

I use Kent Reef salts and do a twenty gallon water change on my 120 gallon tank.

I know its most likley nothing but I was concerned enough I thought I should ask.

Thank you for your help :)

everyone's probably right' date=' but it's worth asking: is the water warmed when you add it? if not, how fast do you add it?[/quote']

The water was at 78 my tank was at 79 so a pretty good match. I drain my sump and replace the water with the fresh saltwater. Then just turn the pumps back on. Good question I have never thought about how fast to add it. Would that make a difference?

Every time I do any tank maintenance like glass cleaning, or water changes that stir up any little bits, my zoas close up, my xenia wads itself into a ball, some of my larger polyps usually close up, sometimes the ricordea closes and my favia throws out tentacles. Not to mention all of the excitement from the crabs and shrimp. I'd say it's completely normal.

The water was at 78 my tank was at 79 so a pretty good match. I drain my sump and replace the water with the fresh saltwater. Then just turn the pumps back on. Good question I have never thought about how fast to add it. Would that make a difference?

with the temp matching, i doubt the speed is a big deal. I do a slow drip on mine because I don't have a spare heater to raise the temp of my new water. It's probably not a big deal

Archived