Sweet Reef Copepods

Helenwheels

About a year ago, several of the fish stores in Portland were selling bottles of tank-bred copepods under the brand "sweet reef". I believe the supplier was local. Does anyone know about who bred them and if they are still available? They were great. I'd like to add some more to my tank... I have just added a wife for the mandarin I've had for 2 years.

Thanks!

Helen

I'm blanking on his name. There was a guy here that was on the forum for a little while. He lived in the southeast. He told me he also bred the copepods. He used to shop at the Coral Mafia shop a great deal. He said he was a groomer over at the Petsmart that you work at Jesse.

I'm blanking on his name. There was a guy here that was on the forum for a little while. He lived in the southeast. He told me he also bred the copepods. He used to shop at the Coral Mafia shop a great deal. He said he was a groomer over at the Petsmart that you work at Jesse.

His name is Shawn and he works at the Gresham store. I just don't remember his screen name here..LOL

Only about half the members of this forum have restraining orders on me for stalking, so I am relatively harmless. :-)

Sean: Best thing for all of us is for you to come forward, admit you are Fragthis", and breed up a big bunch of copepods. I'm sure you will get pre-orders from forum members if you ask, so no risk of creating an inventory you can't sell in time. I'd much rather support a local breeder than a mass merchant.

I'll be setting up a sump sometime soon (I hope) with a move to a 75g from my 55. I've been hoping I could gather a bunch of samples of people's chaeto/pods/etc so I could populate my sump from 5-10 different sources...so I'd be thrilled to make these part of that if I can.

Yes, they will breed in your tank as long as you have A LOT of Rock, plenty of nutrients (mandarins and pods will not thrive in an SPS tank) and lots of places that fish cannot get to. It's not whether you have a sump or not, it's whether you have a refugium (I don't have a refugium in my sump)

H

Yes, they will breed in your tank as long as you have A LOT of Rock, plenty of nutrients (mandarins and pods will not thrive in an SPS tank) and lots of places that fish cannot get to. It's not whether you have a sump or not, it's whether you have a refugium (I don't have a refugium in my sump)

H

I've seen lots of SPS tanks with mandarins.....why would u say a mandarin or pods can't thrive in one?

I was generalizing. It is harder to maintain the nutrient-poor system that sps need while providing enough food for copepods' date=' but I have also seen them thriving a a large SPS tank with a refugium.[/quote']

Agreed! Like so many things in this hobby. Has been done but not recommended

Archived