Plumbing EXPERTS! Overflow question.

aclockworkorange

I've got a 225 gallon tank (72x30x24") with a overflow tower in the center of it. The bottom of the overflow is drilled for a 2" bulkhead. This tank is going to be in a house with no real room dividers (kind of a loft setup) so I will be able to hear it from my bedroom, living room, etc. and I don't want it to be loud. This will go down to and 80 gallon sump and pumped back into the tank.

The overflow tower is only 5x5" so there's really no room for a traditional herbie or even a standard durso--only a stockman. A friend of mine suggested doing a modified herbie by having the main drain be the bottom 2" bulkhead in the overflow with a standpipe a few inches below the water line (and a gate valve on that pipe below the tank) and drilling a second bulkhead in the overflow near the top on the back of the tank and having a 90 degree elbow facing upwards.

Would this work? Any other suggestions?

sounds like a reasonable solution. set that gate valve so it runs at a full siphon and drill the second one so it will just through for what's not being siphoned. a siphon is silent and a trickle is silent, it's the in between that's loud. I don't think there's a safe way to make it silent with only one drain pipe, but I could be wrong

interesting. how about you just put a tee at the top of the standpipe and a cap on the top of the T (the other opening sideways). drill a little hole in the cap so it will allow air in to silence the pipe. at full siphon, 2 straight 2" pipe can pull 2500gph, probably half (?) if not siphoning, so if you're return pump is moving 1000gph, I think this idea would work pretty well and would only require the pipe, two fittings and a drill bit.

interesting. how about you just put a tee at the top of the standpipe and a cap on the top of the T (the other opening sideways). drill a little hole in the cap so it will allow air in to silence the pipe. at full siphon' date=' 2 straight 2" pipe can pull 2500gph, probably half (?) if not siphoning, so if you're return pump is moving 1000gph, I think this idea would work pretty well and would only require the pipe, two fittings and a drill bit.[/quote']

Good idea, i'd give that a shot first as well!

In a 5x5 you should be able to fit a Durso with some tricks. Shorten the T and use flex pvc for the first part of the pipe.

As for what your friend suggested, that is the plumbing I am using on my tank right now. It is silent and it dint't fail so far. I have to say that I have a third backup overflow.

In a 5x5 you should be able to fit a Durso with some tricks. Shorten the T and use flex pvc for the first part of the pipe.

As for what your friend suggested, that is the plumbing I am using on my tank right now. It is silent and it dint't fail so far. I have to say that I have a third backup overflow.

You're basically getting towards talking about a stockman, which is a modified durso design that uses the same principal. Glad to hear that's working out for you. I really like plumbing stuff, always fun to research. :)

I am not talking about a stockman when I am talking about a modified Durso (http://shop.dursostandpipes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=13)

When I refer to what I am using I mean a so called Herbie overflow where you keep a pipe totally submerged in the overflow box and you give it about 95% of the flow through a valve. One or 2 backup pipes (Durso, stockman or other) are added for security.

Anyway, you should be able to fit a standard 1' Durso in a 5x5 box. It is not the most silent system out there but it works

I am not talking about a stockman when I am talking about a modified Durso (http://shop.dursostandpipes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=13)

When I refer to what I am using I mean a so called Herbie overflow where you keep a pipe totally submerged in the overflow box and you give it about 95% of the flow through a valve. One or 2 backup pipes (Durso, stockman or other) are added for security.

Anyway, you should be able to fit a standard 1' Durso in a 5x5 box. It is not the most silent system out there but it works

A stockman is a modified durso, just possibly a better use of space than what you're suggesting. It's the exact same thing as a durso, it just looks different.

I understand you're running a herbie. Herbie setups are traditionally a two pipe affair. The beananimal uses three pipes, but does not have 95% of the flow going to one pipe like the herbie.

dursa

[ATTACH]12055[/ATTACH]i made this dursa to fit in a overflow box, no room in there for a regular 1 either, but worked. drilled a3\16 hole in the top. the level has about a 1" adjustment to it by sliding the bottom pvc up down on the rubber gasket inside the union

A modified Durso is a Durso designed overflow pipe header with different configuration of the elements that compose it as from the original design of Richard Durso. Shortened T or chopped street elbow and so on. Usually the mods tend to make it more compact.

The Stockman Aqua-Silencer works in a similar way as the Durso standpipe in the same way as a simple bulkhead does: It allows water to flow from the overflow area to the sump ;) Ken Stockman would't be happy to consider his Silencer as a modified Durso lol

Also, Richard Durso referred to the Stockman as a totally different idea than a modification of his original design. The only similarity is the silencer side of the design (R. Durso - Ken Stockman's Standpipe Implementation - Compact Design for Hang-on Overflow Boxes).

A Durso standpipe with an air intake modification works similar to a Stockman as for silencing. I like it ant it is silent. The only issue is that it does not handle debris as well as a Durso in my opinion.

Archived