Chiller Install

Theron

I am getting ready to install my chiller to the system, now that that the weather is starting to get warmer. I am trying to decide where I want to plumb the chiller. The display has 90 gallons with about 40 gallons in the sump.

I know of two options.

A) Add another pump to take water from the sump through the chiller and return to the sump.

B) Plumb the chiller to the existing return pump in the sump. Take water from the sump through the chiller and back into the display.

Both options will work for me. I already have an extra pump for the chiller if I chose option A. My sump return pump is alittle too much for my overflow so I have it dialed back, adding a chiller should not be a problem.

Just wondering how some of you have plumbed your chillers and what is the best way for me to go. I like option B to avoid the extra expense of running another pump.

Theron

Guest Ahbrit

I went with Option B

Seems to work perfect for me, and uses less electric. i have to dial back my return also but i still get the recommended flow through the chiller

just another idea that would kinda go with option A is to run chiller outside so as not to add heat under sump or room that its in thats how i install most of the ones ive done for clients plus some chillers can be noisey just a thought.

I agree with Keith. You are going to utilize wasted energy plumbing it into the return pump (further, the pump being throttled back serves to create heat, as it needs to work against itself). I would put a ball valve in a "T" fitting so that you can get a good flow rate through the chiller.

Also give some thought to where the new chiller plumbing circuit will terminate. You will have a new current point coming from whatever terminator you choose. I used LocLine coming from my chiller, and put it close to the flow from my return to reduce any cold points being directed to sensitive livestock.