Heater question

NoobtoSalt

i have a 180, with 60 gallons in the sump, which is in my unheated garage, only time i run a heater is when it is below freezing, my tank stays around 74 in the winter. i think heaters are over rated. i hardly see heaters in woody's tanks, his shop gets cold in the winter

74 is too low in my experience. Suppresses immune systems and limits the biological activity of the system. Watch out for diseases. Kind of like hypothermia and hyperthermia in humans. Yes fish are cold blooded but marine fish really havent evolved to deal with much fluctuation

how do you know it couldnt be stronger? and who is woody? is it a shop owner? if so, not really a good comparison, as I doubt fish are there long term.

just playing devils advocate...

it is possible it could stronger, I have had some fish 3-5 years, moved 3 different tanks. going on 3 years with my sump in the unheated garage. Never used a heater unless it freezes, woody is a lfs store in portland, i thought about the fact it is not a good comparison. Since i do not have a high turnover of fish,,,,,,,,,. i have heard from different sources could be a disease problem. Food for thought: since we cannot ask fish what they can tolerate, & i have not seen my fish shivering from hypothermia, how do we know what they can tolerate? I wonder if it is perceived that since they live in the tropics, they cannot tolerate anything lower. sounds like a good poll question.

Good points...I think they are intolerant of severe temp changes due to the fact it never really happens in the ocean...especially where reefs are. They have just never had to adapt to the need for temperature change. But that definitely doesnt mean it cant be done, just keep an eye out, which i am sure you are, and just keep it in mind if anything looks funny, just a variable to check off.

One plus is maybe you can feed slightly less due to slower metabolism. But i know there is a fine line between lowering metabolic rate and stopping it all together. Many many enzymes and reactions that take place within the organisms body are temperature dependent, and taking it too far outside the limits can have all sorts of different effects

I appreciate the comments but the question still remains to be answered. if the tank runs about 75 degrees at all times I'm leaning towards not doing one. But I will have a heater for backup if it drops below 72. What do you think?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

it is possible it could stronger' date=' I have had some fish 3-5 years, moved 3 different tanks. going on 3 years with my sump in the unheated garage. Never used a heater unless it freezes, woody is a lfs store in portland, i thought about the fact it is not a good comparison. Since i do not have a high turnover of fish,,,,,,,,,. i have heard from different sources could be a disease problem. Food for thought: since we cannot ask fish what they can tolerate, & i have not seen my fish shivering from hypothermia, how do we know what they can tolerate? I wonder if it is perceived that since they live in the tropics, they cannot tolerate anything lower. sounds like a good poll question.[/quote']

Actually quite a bit of research has been put into this question by highly educated professionals. Fish are cold blooded animals, meaning that they do not produce heat to warm their bodies, rather than humans or mammals which use internal heat sources (metabolism) to keep us warm.

So think of it this way. Since fish are cold blooded, they actually have body temperatures that are very close to the water temperature. If you think about how worried we get when we are running a fever 3 degrees our body temperature, think about how fluctuating temperature might have adverse effects on fish.

In addition to this, metabolism is linked with body temperature, so when you change the water temperature, not only are you changing the body temperature of the fish, but you are also effecting the metabolism of the fish. Just food for thought! I would try to keep the temperature right at 77 or so, because that is close to their original habitat. Hope that was helpful

I appreciate the comments but the question still remains to be answered. if the tank runs about 75 degrees at all times I'm leaning towards not doing one. But I will have a heater for backup if it drops below 72. What do you think?

Seems like it has been answered with these posts and the poll. Consenus says you should run a heater on higher setting for optimum results

Seems like it has been answered with these posts and the poll. Consenus says you should run a heater on higher setting for optimum results

Didn't see all the posts on my phone for some reason. Thanks for the help as always!

Archived