Just got my new Camera what lens now???

Chindo

Hey guys just forked out some cash and got the Nikon D5100 (rock2) but my question is what lens are you guys using to shoot these incredible pictures of your tanks (scratch) ???? What macro lens??? Also what Tripod do you guys recommend getting??? Thanks

I'm a pro photographer and can make many recommendations. The easiest way to get great shots is a true macro lens with a 1:1 ratio. Go to www.dpreview.com and you will find a ton of info. I'm using a 1:2 ratio macro and it works ok. I just don't have the money for something better. Keep your shutter speed up if you have much flow in the tank. I often have to shoot 1/500th or above to keep the pic sharp.

I'm also a pro photographer but my advice would be to trade in the Nikon and get a Canon. :D

I find it easiest to just turn the pumps off so a higher shutter speed is not as needed and the photos are easier to focus. Just my preference, it depends on the look of the photo I want.

For tripods I use a manfrotto with a 498RC4 ballhead. I think the few extra bucks for the ball head is often very overlooked. The addition of the second tension knob is a huge advantage to that tripod over others I have used.

I don't use macro lenses myself so I am no real help there, I do like long low light lenses the 70-200 f2.8 is my favorite lens I routinely use.

Archived