FOWLR/reef idea

Burningbaal

I know the title doesn't make sense...that's why this is a question.

has anyone ever tried doing a tank that's both FOWLR and reef? I'm imagining a 3-4 foot (front-back) tank with an extra piece of glass down the middle to separate the buttefly fish and angels and whatever from your corals and other inverts.

maybe even have a 2x4 footprint in the middle of a 4x6 footprint and have 12" around the perimeter for the fish only and have your corals and most of the LR in the middle? Probably have water return to the middle section from sump and drain out of the perimeter. you could also set up a set of powerheads around the perimeter to make a current for the big fish to swim in...

is that totally crazy?

The issue I see right away would be algae and coraline growth on the divider pieces. Unless you scraped constantly it would ruin the display.IMO

definitely a valid thought...algae you could probably fix with snails inside and tangs outside? coraline is tough though...

I thought about this a while ago. Was thinking of doing a 240g, 8x2x2, then just a divider in the center to make two standard 120's, 4x2x2. And just drill both sides for two sep sumps under the stand. That way nothing gets mixed but you still just have one tank/stand

Archived