Bristle worms

Kimberlee

Okay so I've never worried about the bristle worms in my tank. They have always been on the small side and never done any damage. Now I have 2 big ones that are causing problems. They crawled across my star fish the other night and did some damage to his skin. I don't think it will be long before they start to hurt other things in the tank. So who eats them? They are quick and I swear they smell me when I put my hand in the tank, and they are in 1 of my bigger rocks w/ a few corals on it. I guess I need ideas on how to get them out. Tried baiting them w/ food, their to smarter than that.

i thank there are wrases that will get after them

Indeed there are. My eight-line keeps them under control quite nicely. They have all but disappeared since I added him/her to the tank. Now it just eats like a horse at feeding times.

My melanurus wrasse and cigar wrasse love to eat them even big ones. I have made traps that help get them out. Get a small jar put food inside(I used dried shrimp). Put a panty hose over the jar so it slightly goes inside the jar Like a cave. Rubber band it on. Put it in the tank at night. The bristles seem to get stuck to the holes in the panty hose. Hope that makes sense. Happy Hunting

P.S. If you get the spines in your hands duct tape really helps pull them out.

My melanurus wrasse and cigar wrasse love to eat them even big ones. I have made traps that help get them out. Get a small jar put food inside(I used dried shrimp). Put a panty hose over the jar so it slightly goes inside the jar Like a cave. Rubber band it on. Put it in the tank at night. The bristles seem to get stuck to the holes in the panty hose. Hope that makes sense. Happy Hunting

P.S. If you get the spines in your hands duct tape really helps pull them out.

the cigar wrasse is that 1 you have w/ the red stripes right?

Will try the jar trick, and thanks for the duct tape tip

Thx for the id. I had 1 when I set up my tank over a year ago, but the store that sold him to me didn't tell me he was old and called him a tobacco wrasse. I've been trying to get an id on him since to get another 1 and thx to you I now have an id. Put an order in for him today.

Arrowcrabs are good for the small ones. Leopard wrasses have eaten them for me as well.

I did a 10 minute dip of my LR once at a salinity of 1.040 when a situation got out of control. Drove the worm from the rocks but the worst smell ever. The raised salinity for the shortened period of time does not harm the bacteria or critters but does make the worm flee the rocks.

If they are not causing damage they are a great part of your clean up crew and if you are to remove then you should look to something else that will replace there function.

I must have the dumb species then. Pulled 2 out with fragging clamps yesterday during feeding time. They are fast, but they couldn't resist me laying food by there lair. They were only about 3-4 inches long. This is the first time I have ever seen them in my tank though. I know they are a good cuc member, but they are nasty little.......

Mine are ingenious. I found about 4 of them when I stopped and watched. They are all against me I think. Don't mind the smaller ones, but I watched these guys do damage to the starfish so they gotta go. I think they communicate, because if I get a grip on 1 they all disappear. They are fell fed I think because food isn't a good enough reason to come out. I'm quick, not as quick as them. Wish I had the dumb ones.

Bristleworms themselves will not do harm to living things for the most part. There are cases of certain fish sustaining injury trying to eat them (not so uncommon with seahroses when trained to a feeding dish), but that is more of the fishes fault and hard to pin on the worm. They get a bum wrap.

They do not eat live tissue at all.

If your worms are attacking your fish, or eating your coral, they are not bristleworms.

Oh my gosh.....I still just have the little nano up, and I was feeding my new brain coral and lobo last night and I saw that I have hundreds of bristleworms...!!! now, I have never really worried about them either, but I have always had a bigger tank set up....some of these are the little tiny ones, BUT there are quite a few that are absolutely HUGE and about 7-8 inches long.....I don't care about the smaller ones but should I try to get rid of these HUGE ones????????

Ive lost fish to fireworms' date=' and now thanks to the [language filter] things i have no normal bristleworms left lol pledo, got any advice on fireworms?[/quote']

Do the hyper dip, they run out of the rocks like crazy. About 10 minutes at 1.040 worked well for me to catch my eunicid (4 footer) and a few hundred other worms. Make sure you use a powerhead and a nose clip, worst smell ever.

It isn't that they are eating tissue' date=' it's that when they crawled across the starfish their bristles left damage to the tissue. Other than that I always thought they were a great part of the cuc.[/quote']

I've never heard of that before. Interesting. What kind of starfish?

If only they killed asterna's, they'd be everyone favorite, including myself.

Archived