Calcium chloride?

J-Dog

Get in on the group buy or see if you can add to someone elses purchase. I still have a bunch right now and I've had it for a year.

Jesse, what I am trying to do is make or buy my own 2-part products instead of buying it from BRS. They charge way too much $ for this stuff....I can get 50 lbs of calcium chloride/soda ash for the same price as they sell 7 lbs. I'm not a math expert, but something doesn't seem right (scratch)

check out buckeyefieldsupply.com

Brandon, it doesn't look like they sell soda ash

And does anyone know why the Reef Keeping articles no longer exist? I wanted to read Randy's 2-part article again, but the whole site seems to be down. Any ideas?

Jesse' date=' what I am trying to do is make or buy my own 2-part products instead of buying it from BRS. They charge way too much $ for this stuff....I can get 50 lbs of calcium chloride/soda ash for the same price as they sell 7 lbs. I'm not a math expert, but something doesn't seem right (scratch)[/quote']

You are paying for the assurance that it is not going to wipe out your tank. I'm sure that they use the same stuff that you can buy in bulk, it's just a question of what exactly is it that they use?

Calcium chloride. Bioguard brand. Balance pak 300. At tigards the pool and spa house. Calcium chloride. He said it was 100% which i doubt. I am hoping if there are other ingredients that they are potassium and strontium not bromide. I have heard a few people using it but not anything super long term.

I dont use "soda ash." I use a combo of baked baking soda (sodium cabonate) and regular baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to keep ph stable

Thanks for the info.....I think I'm gonna order the 50 lb bag of calcium chloride 77-80% and give that a shot. As for the soda ash, I guess I'll just buy a big bag of Arm & Hammer baking soda and cook it myself.

Why don't people use these items long term?

Oh I am sure people do use them longterm, I just meant that there hasn't been extensive longterm studies done on these pool products, etc. DOWflakes are (were) tried and true and had studies done to prove it, as did prestone driveway heat, however DOWs formula has changed, and a lot of the 20-23% that isn't calcium chloride is calcium bromide. Longterm use, especially with no water changes, leads to an increase in bromine levels in the tank, which no one is really sure what is result. Similarly the same thing results from using epsom salts for magnesium. Long-term use with no water changes leads to an increase in sulfate levels in the tank, which no one really know what will happen, but no one wants to really be the guinea pig. Its probably fine with water changes.

Baking soda is tried and true, its just about purity. Arm and hammer seems fine. I use baked and non-baked in proportion to try and change pH as little as possible.

For me I use the stuff from bulk reef cause I know what is was meant for I dont like cutting corners when it comes to the tank.

some people call it cutting corners, others call it repackaging a product you can buy in bulk. I have WAAAAY too many tanks to pay even what bulk reef wants.

If you can get 100% sodium bicarbonate from arm and hammer for $25 for 50lbs or bulk reef for $56 for 40lbs? I personally trust arm and hammer's purity just fine, and dont see why bulk reef would use and better, its just repackaging for a specialty market.

Oh I am sure people do use them longterm, I just meant that there hasn't been extensive longterm studies done on these pool products, etc. DOWflakes are (were) tried and true and had studies done to prove it, as did prestone driveway heat, however DOWs formula has changed, and a lot of the 20-23% that isn't calcium chloride is calcium bromide. Longterm use, especially with no water changes, leads to an increase in bromine levels in the tank, which no one is really sure what is result. Similarly the same thing results from using epsom salts for magnesium. Long-term use with no water changes leads to an increase in sulfate levels in the tank, which no one really know what will happen, but no one wants to really be the guinea pig. Its probably fine with water changes.

Baking soda is tried and true, its just about purity. Arm and hammer seems fine. I use baked and non-baked in proportion to try and change pH as little as possible.

So how do u know the calcium chloride BRS sells us doesn't have bromide in it? They could be using the exact same stuff that we are looking for.

As for epsom salts, my tanks mag levels rarely change, so I hardly dose for it.

Archived