Calcium chloride?

J-Dog

I was thinking about doing my own 2-part recipe, but can't seem to find this stuff anywhere in the Portland area. Does anyone know where to get some Calcium Chloride/Dowflake (77-80%)? I would like to find it locally, since shipping from an online retailer would jack the price up too high.

I know I know... But hey' date=' it's a part of the two part recipe, and I am sure he will need it to make it, so why not inform him?[/quote']

Haha i know im kidding! I figured thats what you meants.

PS i could really use some calcium chloride too. Let us know if you find a good local source

I have used Prestone Driveway Heat with no problems. I think I still have a full container, let me know if you want to try it. I have bought it at both Fred Meyer and Home Depot in the past but they probably only stock it in the winter.

I have used Prestone Driveway Heat with no problems. I think I still have a full container' date=' let me know if you want to try it. I have bought it at both Fred Meyer and Home Depot in the past but they probably only stock it in the winter.[/quote']

Is it made from calcium chloride 77-80%?

It is re-packaged Dow Peladow and is a little stronger than Dowflake (same as Kent's Turbo Calcium). According Randy's homemade recipe, you are supposed to use 20% less to make a batch than with Dowflake. There are a lot of threads on RC about this.

It is re-packaged Dow Peladow and is a little stronger than Dowflake (same as Kent's Turbo Calcium). According Randy's homemade recipe' date=' you are supposed to use 20% less to make a batch than with Dowflake. There are a lot of threads on RC about this.[/quote']

OK David, I will try to read up on it.....I thought u used a reactor anyways? Why would u need Dowflake?

Have any of u guys cooked the baking soda for the alk portion of the 2-part? Can u bake a huge portion at one time or can u only do 2 cups at a time, like Randy's instructions say?

Also, is their anything larger than an Arm & Hammer 12 lb. bag to purchase?

Are you asking if you can cook more than two cups and mix it right away, like in 5 gallon batches or are you asking if you can bake more and use only the two cups at a time and save the rest? I would think that if you did not use it right away it would absorb moisture which is the reason to cook it in the first place. I wouldn't see any reason why you couldn't mix large batches at a time but I'm definitely not an expert on this.

Are you asking if you can cook more than two cups and mix it right away' date=' like in 5 gallon batches or are you asking if you can bake more and use only the two cups at a time and save the rest? I would think that if you did not use it right away it would absorb moisture which is the reason to cook it in the first place. I wouldn't see any reason why you couldn't mix large batches at a time but I'm definitely not an expert on this.[/quote']

Why couldn't I cook a bunch and store it in a container (like the stuff u buy from BRS)? It would seem like a hassle to have to cook 2 cups every time u needed a new batch for dosing (scratch)

Maybe you can. I know that baking it drives off the co2 turning it from sodium bicarbonate to sodium carbonate but that's about as much as I know about it. I have no idea if it can reabsorb any co2 while it is being stored.

Edit: I think that soda ash is the same thing as baked baking soda so it must be able to be stored. I also think you can buy this in bulk.

Have any of u guys cooked the baking soda for the alk portion of the 2-part? Can u bake a huge portion at one time or can u only do 2 cups at a time, like Randy's instructions say?

Also, is their anything larger than an Arm & Hammer 12 lb. bag to purchase?

I use the baked baking soda for my alk dosing, and calcium chloride from BRS. 2 1/4 cups makes a gallon worth of the alk part, and that much lasts me almost a year so i have never made up more, but if you are storing it in an airtight container i don't see why you couldn't

Here is 50lbs of Arm & Hammer

http://www.amazon.com/50-Sodium-Bicarbonate-Baking-Hammer/dp/B0032RET5A

Cheaper

http://www.allbulkfoods.com/product_info.php/products_id/244048

Archived