Is it safe to use muratic acid around the silicone on a glass tank?

Hog Head

I need to clean what appears to be calcium/mineral build up off of the glass on my new to me 150gal tank. This is a milky film that I can't scratch with a fingernail. Epic1 scraped the coraline off but this film is left. I planned on using a green scoth brite pad and a razor blade and the the acid to get what was left. Will the Muratic acid affect the silicone?

Thanks, Eugene

Just some good ol white viegar will work no diluting its great for cleaning up mant things but should work well on your calcium build up , I have also read that you can use diluted muratic acid to cleana tank but I dont know the ratios or how long to soak it hope that helps =)

The chemist in me says "use the muriatic." (evil laugh voice) Mua ha ha.

Really. Vinegar is still an acid, just dilute and weak. Muriatic is more concentrated and a strong acid. Use what you got.

I have used muriatic acid several times on different tanks and there is no problem with the silicone.

dsoz

Certainly try vinegar first. Organic acids (like vinegar) are much less abrasive than inorganic ones (muriatic is hydrochloric acid). If the VI egar doesn't work, look up the molarity of your muriatic acid and diluted it to 2 or 3 molar before using it. I tuning most store bought stuff is around 10 molar, so probably about 1:4. Definitely wear gloves still, latex or nitrile is best (that's what we use in a lab unless its a really nasty concentration (or a nastier acid like HF) or its mixed with strong oxidizers

Archived