LED SPS Pictures

Mandinga

About 3 weeks ago I switched my cube tank over to LED lighting. For the most part, I am pleased with the color and performance of the LED's. The corals are growing and the actinic lighting is incredible....though I cannot photograph the actinic effect at all.

Most of my SPS seem to be adjusting, I will definitely post some folllow up pictures in a few months.

Here are a few shots...sorry about some of the color, photography with these lights is TOUGH!

DSC08959.JPG

DSC08949.JPG

DSC08939.JPG

DSC08926.JPG

DSC08919.JPG

DSC08918.JPG

DSC08916.JPG

DSC08907.JPG

DSC08891.JPG

DSC08888.JPG

DSC08885.JPG

DSC08881.JPG

DSC08900.JPG

DSC08877.JPG

DSC08876.JPG

DSC08871.JPG

DSC08870.JPG

DSC08869.JPG

DSC08868.JPG

DSC08867.JPG

DSC08861.JPG

DSC08859.JPG

Frags available via PM ;)

• 3 weeks later...

The LEDs have officially gone bye bye. The great color and polyp extension lasted about 5 weeks an then everything went downhill. I had no idea how much color everything had lost until I hooked the good ol halide back up.

That was a costly experiment! I list hundreds o dollars in Sps and more in chalices!

Next time I'll do more research and buy a higher end unit.

Eeeeek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same Isaac. I couldn't believe the color change once I hooked the halides back up. Mine only lasted about a month when my carpet nem started climbing up the rocks for more light. They're awesome fixtures for softies and mini maxis. But they definitely didnt do any good for my sps:-(

Keep In mind I'm talking about the store bought fixture that was quite common recently. Not the higher end fixtures.

The LEDs have officially gone bye bye. The great color and polyp extension lasted about 5 weeks an then everything went downhill. I had no idea how much color everything had lost until I hooked the good ol halide back up.

That was a costly experiment! I list hundreds o dollars in Sps and more in chalices!

Next time I'll do more research and buy a higher end unit.

Eeeeek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm not sold on LEDS either. I took ours off of the frag tank and put back the t-5s. Specifically Isaac what were your issues?For me I just thought the blue was too blue and the white was too white if that makes sense. I also felt like I was getting more problems with algae with the LEDs.

Kim, I think you are correct...blues are too blue and the whites are too white. I believe the PAR values were more than enough to grow SPS, but there is something missing. I believe the lack of UV radiation is part of the problem.

I was using one of the popular, low cost, store bought LED's. I may try the radion, or maxspect down the road.

I did the same Isaac. I couldn't believe the color change once I hooked the halides back up. Mine only lasted about a month when my carpet nem started climbing up the rocks for more light. They're awesome fixtures for softies and mini maxis. But they definitely didnt do any good for my sps:-(

Keep In mind I'm talking about the store bought fixture that was quite common recently. Not the higher end fixtures.

How did your corals respond after you switched back to halides?

It was weird because the corals under the actinics looked good all the way up until the day I took them off the tank, but the minute the t5's and halides were back up, all the coral looked so bad. It's been two days back on the halides, so I now i am patiently waiting for color to resume.

Kim, I think you are correct...blues are too blue and the whites are too white. I believe the PAR values were more than enough to grow SPS, but there is something missing. I believe the lack of UV radiation is part of the problem.

I was using one of the popular, low cost, store bought LED's. I may try the radion, or maxspect down the road.

I was reading on another forum about how one thing to consider is that many of the LEDs do not have the full photosynthetic spectrum and the technology is still so new.

Archived