Am I crazy?????????

NoobtoSalt

Am I crazy?????????  

1. 1.

• Yes! Why would you bother breaking down your reef tank for a fish?
    • No. I think it's cool that your looking at different sides of the hobby!
    • I could careless what you do with your own tank.

Well it seems that some are concerned that I am getting too small of a tank for a shark. I have done quite a bit of research and have found the shark I wanted and my build thread seemed to go a little sideways so I figured I would put this out there. Yes I'm crazy for wanting to do this.(nutty) Yes my wife loves me a ton for allowing me to get another tank this year. Of all the shops out there that would just sell a fish to sell a fish Seahorse is not one of them. When I first got into reefing Woody wouldn't even sell me a fish until I brought in a water sample. I spent a decent amount of time with him to determine if this would be the ideal tank for the fish.

Anyways I figured since we haven't had a poll in awhile we might as well have one for this thread...

Also just wanted to clear something up. I don't know the people that were going on about having a shark etc. but I did want to appologize for how I addressed it. I just didn't want my build thread to get dirtied up with a bunch of controversy of "is this the right thing" and so on. We have all made crazy decisions and have lost lots of corals and fish. What makes this any different. I'm not putting it into a 60 gallon cube tank.

I vote all three. Its crazy. It is cool about a different side of the hobby. But in the end i dont care.

But really. The shark probably does deserve a bigger tank. I think sharks should be in round tanks. Can he turn around? It is cool to venture out into other parts, but i dont quit one to substitute another. I add it and do both. But in the end you will do what you want, its the human thing

I vote all three. Its crazy. It is cool about a different side of the hobby. But in the end i dont care.

But really. The shark probably does deserve a bigger tank. I think sharks should be in round tanks. Can he turn around? It is cool to venture out into other parts, but i dont quit one to substitute another. I add it and do both. But in the end you will do what you want, its the human thing

Well I guess in the long run I'm still going to have zoas and some acans for the time being. I'm sure the coral bug will hit me again I just needed to take a break and breathe a little bit before I dive in again all the way.

Thanks for the response!

I think some sharks would do fine in there. I don't really know anything about the type your getting. I would think depth would definitely be more beneficial to the shark IE a four by four cube would be better than eight by two, but I would think a shark, especially a baby would be happy in there for many years. Honestly I wouldn't hesitate to keep a baby in a 180, so your way ahead of me.

I don't see any problem w/ starting a baby shark off in a tank that size. I know that most the people on this form upgrade their tanks all the time and how are any of us to know that you wont do so to accommodate the fish as it needs more room. Really we don't know how you will handle the changing needs of this fish, so who are we to pass judgment.

Oh yah, sharks are awesome please post lots of pics

I had a whitespotted marble banded shark in my 4x4x2 cube tank and it seems very happy, always swimming around. I had it since birth and it grew about 11" in one year. I hand feed it once every other day. Just to give you an ideal of the growth. If you have other question pm me.

I had a whitespotted marble banded shark in my 4x4x2 cube tank and it seems very happy' date=' always swimming around. I had it since birth and it grew about 11" in one year. I hand feed it once every other day. Just to give you an ideal of the growth. If you have other question pm me.[/quote']

Once I get it here I might ask some questions. This one is older and was in an established tank already.

And it's not a nurse shark. I'm not that crazy.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I think some sharks would do fine in there. I don't really know anything about the type your getting. I would think depth would definitely be more beneficial to the shark IE a four by four cube would be better than eight by two' date=' but I would think a shark, especially a baby would be happy in there for many years. Honestly I wouldn't hesitate to keep a baby in a 180, so your way ahead of me.[/quote']

The shark I'm getting is a carpet shark. They stay mostly on the sandbed and walk it. They are amazing animals.

Also from my readings the biggest the shark will get is around 30" from nose to tail.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I like petting Sparticus at Seahorse. My 4 year old nephew got to do it as well. He was so excited and talked about it all day. I'm sure your daughter and her friends would get a kick out of it. Then we fed it a dead flame angle and it was the highlight of my week.

For the record though a 30" shark seems pretty big...

240 will be fine for about 18 months. Rule of thumb for sharks from my understanding is 3 tail swipes on the turn and no less. What has your research led you to as far as diet, feeding amounts and frequency, and so on? Honestly you are better off getting an egg to hatch or baby. They grow about an inch a month once out of the juvenile stage....remember that. That 18 months is based off of just out of infant stage. Approximately 24 months from hatch. They also get more active as they grow and even more so at night. Believe me when I say that 240 is going to look very small when feeding time arrives.

There is a video on you tube of a shark in a 240....if you havent seen it you should check it out. But let me say upfront....after you see it keep in mind I didnt send you there to attack or insult you...purely for education and so you have a better idea of what you are getting into.

Sharks are great....nothing is even closely similar that you have ever owned....but they are not for 3 types of people....uneducated or lacking research....undevoted.....they take time, concentration,drive or motivation......and the weak of heart and stomach...you have to want this....and love it....or dont bother.

Would be glad to help if you are seeking advice or input.

Good luck

Ps....if you are curious as to how your zoas will fare just ask.

Yes....we have sharks if you were wondering....

I posted this in a thread previously but I can no longer find it. Jesse. I just think thinking it through and doing the research is key which it appears you are doing. I can see the allure of getting a shark as they are amazing animals. It's just not for me as a shark is pretty much the only thing that I could have in the tank and there are so many other fish and things I would want to add. This was on reef frontiers and the author BCT182 has a lot of good advice and experience about sharks Jesse. You may want to send him a message.

The truth about small sharks in reef aquariums.

Hey everyone. Recently I have been contacted by several members with questions regarding keeping sharks.

The truth is a 180, 210, or even 240 are not acceptable sized tanks for housing these sharks.

Usually the situation involves someone with prior reef experience who thinks because they are going from a 50g to a 180g tank, that its "huge" and a perfect home for a small shark. I felt this way when I went from a 20L to a 120g.

Lets be honest......

A banded catshark can reach sexual maturity in 18 months!

People try to slow the growth of these sharks by feeding less. (this is something that USUALLY does not happen)

Everytime you have a vistor, you'll wanna show off the shark and feed him right? I've been there. Its not exciting to feed these sharks only once to twice a week. They tend to be very inactive so keepers are always trying to temp the shark with ANOTHER meal. Get him off the sand bed and moving, ya know? (don't forget that if you reduce the frequency of feedings, you have to add vitamins to the food!)

Next! People often say "well I'll put the shark in my small tank I have now, but will upgrade to a larger system when he gets bigger"

A four foot adult banded catshark needs at LEAST a four foot wide tank to turn around. Honestly it needs 5 feet!

With that being said, my shark tank complete system which I had custom built and designed for sharks was $18,000. The demensions were 11ft long and 5ft wide.

So, with that being said, if you want a banded catshark you should either wait until you have a sutable enviroment to house the shark, or have 10 to 20 thousand dollars set aside to house the shark as an adult. (in as little as 18 months)

So here it is! This video is of an ADULT banded catshark. THIS IS NOT A NURSE!

This is an 18 month old banded catshark in a 210g at a store close to my home. Minimal rock with a footprint of 6'x2'x30".

YOUTUBE LINK ---->YouTube - Banded catshark

Truely sad if you ask me.......

Thanks for the input. I've read quite a bit in them and I do agree more surface space is better. That being said I don't think I'm going to kill my shark by putting it in a two foot wide tank. It has eight feet to swim as well. I would love to talk to other shark owners. I will send you a pm. The shark will be a couple of months away anyways but it's mine since it's paid for.

Thanks for the input. I've read quite a bit in them and I do agree more surface space is better. That being said I don't think I'm going to kill my shark by putting it in a two foot wide tank. It has eight feet to swim as well. I would love to talk to other shark owners. I will send you a pm. The shark will be a couple of months away anyways but it's mine since it's paid for.

It is my opinion that you are going to need a bigger tank if you plan to keep it full term. Other shark owners are going to agree.....actually you will too one day.

Pm me anytime

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Below is a link to information about the habitat use/homerange and movement ecology of brown-banded bamboo shark, Chiloscyllium punctatum. It also contains diet information. I didn't vote in your poll because I think you're asking the wrong question. Yes, I believe this tank's area is too small for any shark regardless of age. Regardless of what anyone tells you, you will still carry on with your wants and desires. Hopefully you find a good mentor with lots of Chiloscyllium experience.

Tiff

Fish Biologist

http://www.ipfc2009asfb.com/pdf/speaker_presentations/Stead,%20Joanna.pdf

Below is a link to information about the habitat use/homerange and movement ecology of brown-banded bamboo shark' date=' [i']Chiloscyllium punctatum[/i]. It also contains diet information. I didn't vote in your poll because I think you're asking the wrong question. Yes, I believe this tank's area is too small for any shark regardless of age. Regardless of what anyone tells you, you will still carry on with your wants and desires. Hopefully you find a good mentor with lots of Chiloscyllium experience.

Tiff

Fish Biologist

http://www.ipfc2009asfb.com/pdf/speaker_presentations/Stead,%20Joanna.pdf

Just supplement with Mazuri

Just supplement with Mazuri

Spoken from experience. I have met very few owners of sharks that have heard of this. Makes me happy to see someone has done their research. Now I am curious in regards to what you feed and how often.

Archived