Getting ready to start building an enclosure of approximately 800 Gallons

Facilier

This is a bit premature, but I wanted to get this thread started to document our progress on our upcoming build. Currently we are considering is 120x60x24 for the main "display" with an additional 36x24x18 and 24x24x12. All of this is display we are considering a 80 or 125 gallon sump with a 60g fug.

This will be a first for us, building our own enclosure that is. We haven't decided what we are going to house in it yet but we know there will only be coral in the 36x24 and 24x24, and this is if, and a big if, we get into corals. Anybody who knows me though I am sure can guess what I am thinking of putting in there.

Quick background on us, my son is 11, going to be 12 in less than a month (nutty) and is really gaining a lot of interest in salt water fish tanks. But this has only been over the course of the last 2 years, I, myself am a Marine Biologist, more specifically Ichthyologist primarily focusing my research on Shark and Ray's. Personally I refuse to use the title of "Shark Biologist" because I don't think it is very accurate of a title. I have been working in this field for the past 10 years and wouldn't consider anything else. I have logged more free dives than I care to count. But my proudest moment was my sons first cage dive. I am planning on taking him on our next tagging and recapture trip. We will be seeking out Galeocerdo cuvier more commonly known as the Tiger Shark. Ever since I was a child I have always been fascinated with the apex predators of our oceans and researched until it was all I knew. My son on the other hand seems to be more interested in the smaller, less "teethy" members of the same community. However we have agreed that should this plan be set in concrete he will most likely have to get rid of his current tank, which has next to nothing in it anyway.

The build is scheduled to start in the next month after we finalize planning and materials are obtained. I will see what I can do about posting pictures of our progress as well as plans as they materialize as far as equipment and inhabitants.

So, as they say, let the games begin, first update will be in a couple weeks, maybe sooner but I am not counting on it. Initial update will be finalized dimensions as well as potential inhabitants. Wish us luck.

This is a bit premature, but I wanted to get this thread started to document our progress on our upcoming build. Currently we are considering is 120x60x24 for the main "display" with an additional 36x24x18 and 24x24x12. All of this is display we are considering a 80 or 125 gallon sump with a 60g fug.

This will be a first for us, building our own enclosure that is. We haven't decided what we are going to house in it yet but we know there will only be coral in the 36x24 and 24x24, and this is if, and a big if, we get into corals. Anybody who knows me though I am sure can guess what I am thinking of putting in there.

Quick background on us, my son is 11, going to be 12 in less than a month (nutty) and is really gaining a lot of interest in salt water fish tanks. But this has only been over the course of the last 2 years, I, myself am a Marine Biologist, more specifically Ichthyologist primarily focusing my research on Shark and Ray's. Personally I refuse to use the title of "Shark Biologist" because I don't think it is very accurate of a title. I have been working in this field for the past 10 years and wouldn't consider anything else. I have logged more free dives than I care to count. But my proudest moment was my sons first cage dive. I am planning on taking him on our next tagging and recapture trip. We will be seeking out Galeocerdo cuvier more commonly known as the Tiger Shark. Ever since I was a child I have always been fascinated with the apex predators of our oceans and researched until it was all I knew. My son on the other hand seems to be more interested in the smaller, less "teethy" members of the same community. However we have agreed that should this plan be set in concrete he will most likely have to get rid of his current tank, which has next to nothing in it anyway.

The build is scheduled to start in the next month after we finalize planning and materials are obtained. I will see what I can do about posting pictures of our progress as well as plans as they materialize as far as equipment and inhabitants.

So, as they say, let the games begin, first update will be in a couple weeks, maybe sooner but I am not counting on it. Initial update will be finalized dimensions as well as potential inhabitants. Wish us luck.

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?29080-240-gallon-aggressive-tank/page2

We now have a large tank as well and our lights cost us a total of $45. Sounds to me like you are on the right path here, by not going reef you are reducing, although very slightly, the demand on corals. Chances are there is a reef out there that will be happy that you are assisting it's chance at life. The more and more that get corals in their tanks also equals the fewer healthy reefs we have.

It's kind of funny that most hobbiests say that they are interested in sustaining our natural reefs and corals, all the while they are supporting it's destruction. This is why we went fish only as well. We actually do hope to have healthy reefs in the future to dive down and explore, would rather that than see it cling to life in a fish tank waiting for it's owners to drop the ball so it can simply die. Not a single coral in any tanks on this site will help our natural reefs....but every coral in every tank on this site has helped destroy those reefs.

Catch 22 I guess.

We just had a new neighbor move in with a black stand and tank that I can only assume he built himself and it is absolutely beautiful.

Not trying to be a jerk but...

Good luck with your build...look forward to seeing this. I am working on a unique build as well and would really like to talk to you...

Pm will be sent shortly if you dont mind.

Curious about how the 2 smaller tanks are taking part in this....can you give some more detail of your plans.

Archived