Kh and Calcium

Jeramy

So my KH has been steady at 7 and my calcium has been steady at 360 which are both a bit low. What products would you recomend I use to buffer them up its only ten gallons of water so I dont need anything extreme. Just thought I would hit up some of the vetran reefers out there Thanks =)

What's your pH? If it high (8.4) you can you baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). If it's lower than that you can use BAKED baking soda (put the baking soda on a cookies sheet and bake it at 400 degrees for 3 hours). This will help with the kH. BRS has a calculator to find out how much you need. For calcium, use some sort of calcium hydroxide to raise it. Make sure you are testing your magnesium as well or else they'll never stay where you want.

Bulk reef has some great products as mentioned-Depending on what you have in the tank, I assume softies, maybe some LPS the swings wont matter as much but certain corals wont tolerate "swings"

Add a calcium reactor and a controller (laugh) just set it and forget it-(clap)

I know its 10 gallons but there is something to be said about stream lining things-A doser would be a great add on, I dont suspect you have a lot of corals that are top demanding in regards to Calcium so a reactor is not needed but a doser makes life easy-dunno(scratch)

Thanks for all the input =) My ph is 8.2 and I will run and get a mag test tonight. I oly have a hermit and a snail in the tank right now I am only about a month into it but wanted to make sure eveery thing is fully stable befor I put any corals in there. my amonia and nitrate have both been at 0 for that last three days so I am getting there.

Ok so I added garf grunge to my tank and after the long shipping process it had some heavy amonia levels in there and reset my cycle no big deal however. After adding it now my KH has droped to 5 and my calcium has gone up to 760 through the freakin roof I know not sure why one would go up and one would go down. My ph is 8.2 I also turned the skimmer off when I added the grunge and actualy moved it for the time being to the QT tank I had set up. I am not sure exactly how calcium and carbonate hardness work togather but and help would be great . Just let me know if you need any further details =)

If you add alk to your system it will lower your calcium. If it was me i would be testing the new water to see where the parameters were at. You could continue to raise your calcium if there is not enough alk in the new water. Just my opinion. By adjusting your alk up to around 9 should lower your calcium to a lvl where it should be. you would still need to do water changes for the ammonia.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing lots of water changes to try and get my calcium and kh back in check however when i tested this morning my kh was 7 and my calcium was 720. I tested the water I am doing changes with and it had a kh of 9 and acalcium level of 420. I have changed 5 gal of water over the last week my tank only holds ten but my calcium level wont go down. I only do about a gallon at a time so I dont take the water level below the top of the rocks if you see any thing i am missing please let me know thanks =)

Archived